Louisa - The News.

Louisa's POV 

"My goodness, it cannot be!", Verity exclaimed from the hallway. I turned to George, he picked up his cup and began to drink.

"What is it?", Mrs Chynoweth quizzed as she attempted to look out at the hallway as she did not move from her seat, getting frustrated.

"I do not know, mother", Elizabeth simply replied. She was clutching onto her napkin with such distress whilst she spoke, still as white as a sheet.

"Get my cloak dear, I am rather cold", She continued as she tapped Elizabeth's shoulder. "Very well, mother", She smiled weakly as she left the table and wandered up the stairs to retrieve the item.Footsteps got louder, suddenly the door ascending to the hallway creaked open.

Verity, Francis, Anne and Charles we are stood there, Anne and Verity beaming with happiness, Charles and Francis seemed bewildered, yet somewhat pleased.At that very same moment,  George stood up. "Good heavens, it cannot be!", He announced. That was when I noticed him, another man, wearing a red jacket with a white shirt, bearing a scar along his cheek.

"Ross Poldark!", George continued. "It is I", The man, I know now as Ross, spoke. "How can it be?", Francis smiled as he patted him on the back. "We all thought of you dead", Verity continued.

"That's what the war does to people, it brings out the worst of imaginations", Charles spoke as he returned to his seat. "I see you are all having dinner", Ross spoke as he awkwardly rubbed his cheek, the side of which the scar was present, he almost flinched as he ran his finger down the scar.

"You are welcome to join us on this very joyous occasion", Charles chimed as he pointed toward the spare chair that was next to Mrs Chynoweth. "Please", He smiled as Verity showed him to his seat. "Oh Ross, how very rude of us", Verity spoke.

"What is it?", Ross spoke, looking at Verity whilst he took his seat. "Next to George Warleggan, we have Louisa Benson", She smiled pointing at me. "How do you do", Ross smiled and nodded civilly. Nodding civilly in reply, I noticed George's hand begin to clench into a fist.

"They are to wed within two weeks", Anne smiled as she too sat down. "Is this the occasion that is being celebrated?", Ross asked smiling at me. I was just about to open my mouth, but was soon found to be interrupted.

 "Oh no, my dear boy! Francis is to marry!", Charles responded as he stood up and patted Francis on the back as he had not moved an inch. "That is indeed great news! To whom?", Ross continued.

"Elizabeth", Mrs Chynoweth smiled.