Chapter 2

Nick and Carla were currently in a restaurant in town. They had just finished their main course and were debating whether to have dessert or go home.

"I'm not being funny Carla but it's not much fun being on a date with my beautiful wife and she barely speaks. You're supposed to be enjoying yourself not making me feel like you are being held prisoner" Nick laughed slightly although he was a little annoyed but tried not to show it too much

Carla looked up from where she was playing with her napkin

"I'm sorry, I just feel so guilty. What if he's screaming the place down and your mum isn't coping" Carla said

Nick sighed "She texted and said he was fine. Ok he is still awake but isn't that what's fun about going to the grandparents to get spoiled and be able to stay up late."

Carla smirked "Nick he's hardly at an age to know what time it is and that he is up later"

"Yea well it's all about routine and when he does get older he will start to realise" Nick replied

The waitress came over to the table to clear some dishes away when Nick asked for the bill. The girl smiled and went to get it.

"So we are going then" Carla asked

"Well I'm not really in the mood anymore and it's not much fun looking at you constantly looking at your watch or phone"

.............

The ride home had been quiet and when they arrived back at Victoria Court they decided they would just go and get Alfie. Of course when they had got there him and Gail were sat on the couch glued to some Paw Patrol Dvd. Gail had told them that he had been fine and that he would have gone to sleep eventually as he was starting to drop off as they came through the door.

Carla and Nick both said their goodbyes to Gail as they all headed out. Carla went ahead with Alfie who had like predicted fallen asleep. Nick turned to his mum

"Thanks mum and sorry for coming back for him. Feel like we wasted your time" Nick said

"Oh Love don't be silly, we had a lovely time just me and him. With David, Sarah and the kids all away at Martin's and Michael visiting a friend it was nice having a quiet house where I could give Alfie all my attention." She smiled

Nick smiled back and after kissing his mum on the cheek and saying goodnight he headed back to the flat.

.................

As Nick entered the flat Carla was getting a glass of water. She already had her pyjamas on and looked to be heading for bed.

"Are you coming through? I thought we could snuggle in bed for a bit and maybe look through some picture ideas of how to decorate Alfie's room" Carla smiled

Nick smiled back "Yea I'll be through in 5"

After putting away some toys that were scattered about and then going through to check on Alfie and kissing his forehead goodnight Nick headed to the bedroom. Opening the door he looked over and seen that Carla was fast asleep. Sighing he closed the door again and headed back to the sitting room. Switching on the tv making sure it was low enough he flicked through the channels to find something to watch.

"So much for a romantic night" He spoke quietly to himself

He had been so looking forward to this day for ages. He loves his son to bits and loves to spend all his spare time with him but they need to spend time for themselves. You hear stories all the time about couples drifting apart because they can't find the balance. He didn't want that to happen to them.