Chapter 3

As I'm walking home, I see lots of cars by the house next door. The people next door are the Johnsons, and I don't really know them well. But I guess they're not there anymore because it looks like there's new people moving in. I go inside and am about to ask my dad about it.

"Hey dad, I'm sorry," I say. "The movie ended but Max and I... we uh went to go grab a bite to eat afterwards. I should have told you."

"You should have, but it's okay, baby," Dad says. "Did you see the new movers? Your mother and I went to talk to them. They're the Paytons, and they're pretty shy. We should all make them feel welcome. They have a son that's your age, and a daughter that's in elementary school."

"Okay, I'll try to be nice, but it's not like I'm going to talk to them much," I say.

"Sierra, you should try," Dad says. "Don't say that. You never know... That guy might end up being much better than he seems. He's just a stranger right now, but you don't exactly know him yet."

I shrug my shoulders and walk upstairs. When I look out my window, there's a teenage boy who looks up at me. His blue eyes catch my attention, but I find him creepy. He's the son of the Paytons? He's attractive, but the look on his face makes him come off as creepy.

"Sierra!" Mom exclaims as she walks inside. "You should go greet the new neighbors."

"That teenage guy outside is weird," I roll my eyes.

"Oh, he's your age!" Mom exclaims. "He's a bit shy. Your father and I already went down to greet them. Why don't you take Tommy and go say hello to the Paytons? I'm sure their shy family could use another warm welcome. It's civil."

I shrug, "Why not? Where's Tommy, anyways?"

"In his room," Mom says. "This is wonderful! I think new neighbors will be great. We can start fresh, unlike our very unfamiliar status with the Johnsons. I want to become friends with the Paytons."

_____

I get my brother Tommy and we go outside. The Paytons are still unloading their boxes from their black rental car. Their mysterious son is standing there. He watches me as I walk near their house.

"Hi," I say. "I'm Sierra Wallace. My parents came down here to greet you, but I was out with my boyfriend, so I didn't get to say hello. This is my little brother Tommy!"

"Aw, well I'm glad you stopped by," Mr. Payton says. "Wow, your little brother is just precious! Hello there, Tommy."

"Hi," Tommy says quietly, grabbing my sleeve.

"Ollie, get over here!" Mr. Payton exclaims. "Bring your little sister, too. I want you to kindly introduce yourself to these two."

The blue eyed guy looks reluctant to come near us, but he grabs his little blonde sister and walks over. She looks about Tommy's age. I try to smile at him, but I'm still freaked out about the window thing.

"I'm Oliver," he says.

His voice is low, and I can tell that he's shy.

"I'm Christine!" the charismatic younger sister exclaims. "My brother's a lame butt, and that's why he's so emo and quiet."

I laugh. Christine's precious.

"Shut up," he says, shoving her.

"Hey, kids, don't fight," Mr. Payton says. "Sierra, do you go to Ridgewater High School?"

"Oh, yeah!" I smile.

"Really?" Mr. Payton's face is bright. I nod. "Excellent," he says. "Oliver is going to go there, too, and if it's not too much to ask, I would like you to show him around and stuff."

Oliver blushes and walks away. What's with him?

"Okay, you see, Oliver's not the best conversationalist," Mr. Payton says with a sigh. "I want my boy to get out there, make friends, and have fun! He's a little bit too shy. You seem like gold for him, and I really need someone to help push him to have a good time. When he warms up to you, he'll be so much better. I promise."

I'm reluctant, but I want to help him.