t w o | of silence

—you were the night.

" hi, i'm yeejin, " the girl greeted as politely as possible, forcing the most convincing smile she could manage.

on a tuesday morning, she made the extra effort to wake up a little bit earlier than she usually did. so she could find the said boy she was so interested about.

" d-donghyuck, " the boy stuttered.

he didn't even look up at her.

the smile on the girl's face saddened, but it was still there. faded, forced, but there, nonetheless.

and he knew it was fake.

there was a moment of silence, of her contemplating whether to ask him if she could sit with him for lunch. she had never plucked up enough courage to ask before, mainly because she never really needed to.

she was always alone.

" c-can i sit with you? " came her shaky voice, one so barely audible donghyuck almost didn't catch her words.

he nodded, head still hanging low. silence engulfed the two, awkward silence that both of them grew used to.

then, he tilted his head up.

his eyes were still slightly hooded by his droopy eyelids, a sign of loneliness rather than exhaustion.

but she could notice the sparkles by the side of his irises, like faraway stars that decorated the night sky. the slight swirl of grey that grew darker as it reached the middle, like an illusion so strikingly mesmerizing she couldn't bring herself to look away.

their eyes met.

" your eyes...are really beautiful, " she breathed out, a statement that came so naturally she didn't have to think it over.

she wished she did, though, because donghyuck seemed to freeze a little, in his chewing, and stared at the girl in confusion.

she was so close to regretting her words, until she saw those very eyes of his, that seemed to fit more into the beauty of the darkness, narrowed into perfect crescents.

and then, he smiled.