Chapter 1

"Come on buddy, one more" Nick said trying to encourage his 18 month old son to have some more breakfast.

Alfie had other ideas though as he battered his spoon off his high chair

"Ok shhhhh remember mummy's sleeping" Nick said wiping his sons mouth.

"down" Alfie demanded lifting his arms up for Nick to lift him out.

Smiling Nick did just that and let him toddle off to his box of toys

Life had changed so much for Nick and Carla. After the wedding Carla found out she was pregnant. It was a long 9 months of sickness and aches and pains and then a 27 hour labour. Nick hated seeing her in so much pain and she had called him numerous names with lots of swearing. Something they laugh about now. But as soon as Alfie came into the world the pain and anger was all forgotten about and they fell in love with him from the moment they set eyes on the little bundle of Joy. He was a pretty chilled baby and he hadn't been much of a crier either. Everyone was telling them how much parenthood changes you but you never really believe it until it happens. Everything they do now is around Alfie working their shifts around him and making sure one of them is with him most of the time.

"How's my favourite boys" Carla whispered as she wrapped her arms around Nick from behind as he washed a few dishes.

Nick turned around smiling "Much better now" he said leaning forward to kiss her on the lips

"sorry about Mr Noisy over there. I wanted you to have a long lie" Nick said moving a bit of her hair from her eyes

"you are too kind to me Tilsley and anyway we get to have a long lie tomorrow" She smiled

Nick took her hands "Are you still sure you want to go, we can just stay in and have a cosy night on the couch"

"Yes" Carla replied "we haven't had a date night for a while and it's all ready been arranged with your mum and she's excited about having him overnight for the first time. It's going to be hard leaving him but we have to do it eventually"

Nick smiled "Ok if your sure. Go over and play with him for a bit while I makes some breakfast for us"

He watched her walk away and sit down beside their son on the carpet. He could sit and watch them all day.

"Mama" Alfie said as he held out the book he had in his hand

"Morning baby" Carla said "Shall mummy read you it"

.............................

"Just us" Nick shouted as they made their way through Number 8

Gail rushed through to welcome the family of three "You came, I was expecting you to cancel"

"Yea well we maybe almost did" Carla smiled weakly "But we have to learn to share him and we know he's in good hands. It's just really hard." Carla said as she handed over their son

"Of course it is but you two need some time on your own and he does too. Phone or text whenever you feel like you need to check on him and I promise I will keep you updated."

"Thanks Gail" Carla said "Yea thanks mum" Nick echoed

"Right buddy you be good for your Gran ok, mummy and daddy will see you in the morning" Nick said as he kissed Alfie on his forehead with Carla doing the same.

His bottom lip started to stick out and the tears threatened to fall

"Go, we'll be fine" Gail said moving them towards the door as Alfie started to cry