Chapter 1~ Screaming

Chapter 1:

{Grace's P.O.V}

Screaming.

Screaming.

All I can hear is screaming

Why can I only hear screaming?

BAM.

A loud sound that hurts my ears.

I hold my blankie tightly.

I really want to go downstairs.

But he said "go to bed."

More screaming.

What is going on?

Where's Nate?

~~~

Screaming.

Who's screaming now?

Oh, wait. That's me.

"NATTTTEEEEEEEE!" I yell louder. I hear footsteps running down the hall before Nate enters the room. He takes me in his arms. "Shh, it's just a dream. You're okay, go back to sleep." He whispers softly.
"I'm sorry I-" I start as I drift back to sleep.

{Nate's P.O.V.}

I look down at my now sleeping sister and think about how our life would be if that night turned out differently. What if she disobeyed me and came downstairs? What if he shot me instead of himself? What if mom lived?

I feel so bad for her. She deserves better. An eight year old doesn't need to ask her brother what a gunshot sounds like everyday, or if every boy has to take care of his sister by himself, or if all kids her age didn't go to school, or even my age.

Well, truth is, I never finished Junior year of high school. That was the year we moved to London. We'd do anything to do get away from that house that had memories that still haunt us, and the state where it all happened. I didn't want people to look at us and pity us. So, we packed our bags and went to our grandmother, who used to live in this very little apartment, until she passed away about a year ago. Since I was eighteen then, they let me stay here alone, with authority to watch Grace.

Needless to say, I don't take Grace out. Ever. The last thing I want is for her to be exposed to the cruelty of the outside world. I can't let her see what society is. It would break my heart. I'm her older brother, I'm supposed to protect her.

I'm supposed to protect her from the Reality.

~~~

A/N: hiii if anyone's already reading this. Sorry this wasn't too great, don't worry, it gets better! What happens when they meet the boys? Keep reading to find out! Thanks!

~ 2 broke girls (HAHA I just came up w/ that as our pen name bc we're two girls haha I have no life)