Chapter 2: Just a Couple

Recap of Chapter 1:

Needless to say, I don't take Grace out. Ever. The last thing I want is for her to be exposed to the cruelty of the outside world. I can't let her see what society is. It would break my heart. I'm her older brother, I'm supposed to protect her.

I'm supposed to protect her from the Reality.

Chapter 2:
{Nate's P.O.V}

I grab my coat and hat, peeking one more time into the kitchen before slipping on my shoes. There, Grace sits, frustrated I can tell, with her private tutor, Mandy. The government provided her with Mandy so that Grace can have a free education, and they would pay her afterwards. The problem is, Grace hates Mandy. It's not that she's old and cranky, she's actually only 21, and tutors for a living. Mandy tries so hard to get Grace to like her but Grace just pushes her out, just like everyone else.

As I tiptoe closer to the door, Mandy notices me and gives me a weird look. I give her a don't-tell-Grace-I'll-be-right-back look. She narrows her eyes but waves me off anyway.

I never realized how pretty her eyes are...

Okay, no.

Anyways, I'm headed to the grocery store, like any other 19 year old guy (not). We have no food in this house. I get into the rusty old car and head off.

~~~

Carrying the plastic bags on both my arms, I throw them in the car when a flashing sign catches my attention. As I squint my eyes, I notice it's the sign for a pub, and it's open. I know it's wrong, but all of sudden I find myself walking across the street and through the big glass doors, ignoring the warning signs in my mind.

Just a couple drinks

Just a couple, then you'll leave

I keep telling myself over and over again while getting closer to the entrance. Once inside, I don't waste a second getting to the bar. "Give me the strongest you've got." I demand to the bartender, slamming a 20 on the table that was supposed to be used for next week's groceries. He slides the shot across the table and with shaking hands, I grasp one side of it and let the burning liquid wash over my brain. "Another one!" I demand again, slamming my fist on the table.

And another

And another

How many will I drink?

Enough to make the pain wash away

I drink for my failed attempt at a childhood, for my dead mother, for my criminal of a father, for my too fragile sister, and most of all, for all that's been building up inside of me and is too painful to let out.

Everything is blurry, my head is pounding, my hands are shaking uncontrollably, but I can't stop, the memories are slipping away from my grasp. All the pain and sorrow that I kept bottled up for four years has been released by the alcohol.

"Hey man, slow down. You've had like 10 shots in the past minute," I heard a guy say beside me. "None of your fucking business!" I yell, taking another shot. "Dude, calm down-"
"CALM DOWN?!" I cut him off. "HOW CAN I BE CALM WHEN MY MOM IS DEAD, MY DAD SHOT HIMSELF, AND I HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE MOST FRAGILE EIGHT YEAR OLD WHO DOESN'T HAVE A FIRST GLIMPSE AT WHAT THE WORLD IS REALLY LIKE AND HOW SCREWED UP OUR LIVES ARE! WE LIVE IN DEBT AND FEAR!" I scream, feeling tears streaming down my face, my face heating up and my body losing balance as I crash onto the floor, the drink in my hand falling and smashing to pieces. Everything feels in slow motion.

"Nialllll!" I hear someone scream. My head won't stop pounding and I feel like it's going to explode. I feel my body weight being lifted although I'm too weak to fight it. My eyes are wide open but I have no idea what's going on. "God? Is that you?" I ask in my drunken state. All of a sudden I feel my body being dropped onto a chair and two unfamiliar boys standing in front of me. "Where am I? I need to get home. I need to see Grace a-and Mandy!" I say getting up. "Fine, you can go home, but we're not letting you drive in your condition, we'll drive you." The boy says helping me up. Before I know it I'm in the back of a slick black car telling them my address. "I never got your names." I ask staring out the window. "I'm Niall and he's Liam." The blonde one said pointing to himself and then the other boy. "I'm Nate." I say not looking away from the window. "Nice to meet you." Liam says forcing a smile. "I wish I could say the same, I should have never gone to the bar." I sigh. "We're here." Niall says as I walk out of the door and into the apartment.

"Where are the groceries?" Mandy asks right as I walk through the door, giving me a death stare. "I don't knowww" I slur tripping over myself but quickly trying to regain my balance. "You're drunk," she states as I nod slowly. "Would you like to explain to me why the fuck you're drunk?" She asks with an edge in her voice. I just look down at my shoes and pretend I didn't hear her. "You know what? I don't care why, what I want to know is what made you think that it would be ok to get drunk and come back still drunk, in front of Grace! What if I wasn't here, what if she saw you like this. Don't you think she would think that this is ok, that this is normal? Don't even answer that. J-just go to your room while I distract Grace." She whisper yells and I can't help but feel bad for what I did as I make my way up the stairs trying not to fall. After I lay down in bed and desperately try to get the pounding out of my head, I hear a knock on my door. "Come in." I say softly. "I hope you're happy." Mandy whispers as she walks away.

Oh no, What have I done?