"Dantet!" the first guard finally hissed, pointing his axe toward Aramus.

The second guard followed suit and thrust his spear toward Aramus's throat. Aramus stood still with his hands held in the air.

"Leave, now," the first soldier said. "No creature of Dantet will pass through these gates, nor any companion of his either. Whot fool let you in?"

"Please," Olórin said calmly. "We come on a very important matter. It was your wise Stair Guard, Bernard Barrelbasher, who gave us passage. He understood the urgency of our quest, and I assure you that your king will too."

"That dobber? Och, Angus's no' gonnea be happy wih' that," said the first guard.

"No, I reckon Bernard'll be cleaning jobbies outa the lavs till the end of his days fer that one," said the second.

"Who's Angus?" Aramus asked.

"Shut it, you," said the first guard. "Angus is the king's right arm, head of the King's Guard, and brother of Bernard. If it weren't for Angus, Bernard would still be stuck in the lower mines along wih' all the other oafs that havenea got the smarts to do anything better."

"We had no idea and meant no offence," Olórin interjected before Aramus could say anything else. "Please, tell your king that we are here. I am sure that he will reward you greatly for it."

The two guards looked at one another in silent contemplation. Olórin could see them considering if the reward might be worth taking the risk. True to their nature, the lure of possible remuneration was too much for the half-men.

"Right," the first guard said. "Ye two stay here and I'll go speak tae Angus."

The first guard dropped his axe and turned toward the gold door behind him. It was embossed with the image of a proud dwarf wearing a tall spikey crown. Using the knocker, which was the oversized crotch of the embossed king, he gave one mighty pull and the door swung open with a creaky protest. The second guard pressed the point of his spear into Aramus's throat to make sure that he didn't take advantage of the open door. Aramus grimaced as a small trickle of black blood ran down his neck. The sight of Aramus's dark blood was enough for the second guard to gulp and relinquish the pressure immediately. Aramus wiped his neck and locked eyes with the guard. The two stared at one another for an age, unable to look away, one because of anger the other because of fear.

After what seemed like forever, the faint sound of armoured footsteps grew louder from the palace ingress. Soon the first guard reappeared with another more powerful looking dwarf. His armour glinted with a blue hue, something Olórin had never seen, and his fiery, red beard was neatly plaited in the same way as palace guards. A large broad sword, the length of the dwarf himself, was strapped to his back along with a more proportioned shield. Olórin was sure that if ever there was a dwarf who was capable of ripping a man's heart from his chest, that this would be him.

"Olórin Talfan?" the more powerful dwarf asked, throwing a cautious eye at Aramus.

Olórin nodded.

"My name is Angus. The king has been expecting you."

Angus gestured for them to follow him into the palace. Olórin breathed a sigh of relief. He had given his last potion of fortune to Bernard and was thusly out of any more bribing material that a dwarf would be interested in. The second guard lowered his spear, but still kept it cautiously trailed on Aramus as they walked beneath the golden arch.

Olórin heard Aramus take a small breath in as they entered the brightly lit halls of the palace, and he could see why. Every wall was made of solid gold. Chandeliers of diamonds, rubies, and emeralds dotted the tall ceilings at three foot intervals. Larger than life portraits of past rulers, fighting for room on the walls, were trapped in heavy gold frames; each one wearing the same spikey crown as the other. The long since dead leaders also wore a stare, which, with dusty suspicious eyes, followed the two strangers as they encroached into their inner sanctum.