Ch. 11 (PG): The Kimball Ball, Part 2: Presumption

Start from the beginning

Lord Duncan: "As bad as that?" My friend Lord Christian nods wearily, understanding my phrasing. "That is unfortunate, Old Chap. But I am certain that you will rise above any adversity and turn the estate around."

Lord Christian: "I hope so. When I marry, I want to be able to provide handsomely for my wife and our offspring."

Of course my unspoken thought is that the most certain route to financial stability is to marry an heiress. But the heiress whom I have in mind cares naught for my title. Lady Madeline wants to be in love. But for a lady to be in love, she must think that she is loved in return. Others might fawn over her and tell her what she wants to hear. But I will not lie and say that I feel more for Lady Madeline than I do—which is considerably more than I have ever felt for anyone else. I can not tell her that I love her when I am not certain what I feel for her—except that I want her in my life. I am becoming quite fond of her—and I am charmed by her. She is lovely and has a lilting way about her. And Lady Madeline has no guile, no wish for intrigues and dissembling. Her honesty and frankness--although enervating at times--are quite refreshing.

Lord Duncan: "Christian? Christian?? Christian???" I raise my voice louder each time I say my friend's name in trying to get his attention.

Lord Christian: My reverie broken, I turn and ask of my friend. "What?" He looks at me knowingly. I need a stiff drink, but tonight's affair has nothing more than spirited punch. A pity. But given my disgraceful drunken behavior at Lady Madeline's ball last week, I cannot fault our hosts for their choice of beverage.

Lord Duncan: "The Ladies' punch." I raise a querying eyebrow and gesture to the heavily ladened refreshments table in a nearby room.

***

As I promised my Grandmama Lady Knott, I stand up with Viscount Lord Duncan Lindsay for the second dance after he and Lord Christian return with our punches. Lord Christian seems distracted when he looks at me--while Lord Duncan and Lady Lizzie dance first--as if I have a curl out of place, or that my gown hem had indeed ripped and is in need of repair. I cannot help but subconsciously wince when I look at him. So I am grateful for Lord Duncan to alleviate my discomfort by leading me onto the dance floor next.

Lord Duncan: "So? You are out now? And husband hunting?" I tease, expecting her to blush and demure. But she does neither.

Lady Madeline: "Yes, and maybe." He looks at me perplexed. "I am only to turn eighteen soon, but my Grandmama is determined that I find a suitable husband this season." My eyes widen in worry. And I purse my lips into a pout. Little do I know that it looks like I am blowing Lord Duncan a kiss--which has Lord Christian fuming on the sidelines of the dance floor. And when I later turn my head toward Lord Christian, I see that he is dancing with the guest of honor, Lady Penelope Kimball. I hear that she has a thirty thousand pound dowry. If Lord Christian needs funds, then her dowry will surely supply it.

Lord Duncan: "Indeed! And am I a suitable prospect?" I know that, of course, I am. Everyone is falling at my feet. So tedious. But she stuns me again.

Lady Madeline: "You are very suitable, Lord Duncan. You are wealthy, handsome, and you are going to be a Duke, afterall. But I do not personally know you well enough yet, to tempt me to consider you." I smile at him pleasantly--trying to let him down easily. The man I want has a lesser title, but does not seem to find me suitable. At least, Lord Christian has not declared anything otherwise to me.

Lord Duncan: "I say, your dowry must be enormous for you to dismiss me out of turn." The lady merely smiles--enervatingly so. "So tell me, do you have more than 5,000 pounds?"

Lady Madeline: "Do not your spies give you information about all of the ladies' circumstances?" I sneak a glance over Lord Christian's way and see that he and Lady Penelope are laughing as he twirls her around the ballroom. Why must he make other ladies laugh? Of course, it is not forbidden, but I still do not like it.