Chap 3

~Cyrus~

I paced in the doorway watching intently as Avery stood behind his desk and talked quietly on his phone. It's been almost two weeks since I lost Lakota's trail and ever since I've been agonizing over his lose. I had to find him before I went insane and tore apart this whole country.

"Alright, thank you" sighing Avery sat at his chair and slumped back throwing his phone on the desk.

"Well?" I asked marching in front of his desk and placed my hands on it.

He looked up at me with an exhausted expression before shaking his head. His eyes were full of pity and I held back a growl.

"No one has seen Lakota" he rubs his eyes, "It's been two weeks and if it's who you think it is than none of the packs would have seen him."

I snarled, baring my teeth with frustration.

"I'm so sorry, Cyrus"

This just made me growl even louder, I was so tired of people giving me their damn sympathetic glances and murmuring to them themselves about my misfortune of losing my mate before we could fully bond. I remember when I came back in to the house muddy and wet from my three day hunt for lakota only to come back empty handed.

Connor and his mate were the first ones to hear my problem. Teagan's reaction to the kidnapping of his brother was nothing more than a deep frown and I knew my problem was lost on him. They were never close since they didn't know each other so I went looking for the Alpha and at least got help there. He called the Head Elder before making a whole bunch of calls to the neighboring packs.

Now all I get from the Head Elder is that he's "Working on it". And Avery had reached his limit of phone calls. Even the dozens of search teams from a few neighboring packs have come up empty.

I'd reached a breaking point in all of this.

I was turning away when Avery's phone rang and I heard him answer,

"Heath" the weary voice was renewed with the Head Elders call.

"What?" this made me turn back to look at him. Avery had a frown on his face. "You can't be serious, right now?"

He stood straighter at what the Elder was saying and nodded even though Heath couldn't see him.

"I will" his gaze traveled towards mine for an instant before averting his eyes quickly from mine and his lips thinned tightly.

"Ok" he hung up.

"What this time?" I practically demanded.

He refused to look at me at all. I opened my mouth to demand to know what was happening but a knock at the door stopped me.

"Come in" Avery called.

A thin young wolf came in sticking his head in the door, he couldn't have be more than thirteen.

"There is some visitors here for you and they say that," he looked over at me. "A Lakota is with them."

That was all that needed to be said as I rushed out of the office.

"Cyrus, wait!" Avery called after me as I raced towards the front door.

Why was he trying to stop me?!

I reached the staircase and practically rolled down it in my haste.

The moment I touched the hard marble floor at the entrance, I threw the front door open and came to a complete halt. The familiar scent of flowers from the day Lakota was taken hit me like a freight train. An instant growl left my lips as I stared at the large group of tall and impressively dressed people, there were a few enforcers standing guard as stalked forward.