Chapter 7 (Jesse Richards)

The American Dream (Chapter Seven) ~ Jesse Richards

            As I watched him run from me I was astonished. He wanted me to leave him alone? Why? What is wrong with this kid? I want to find out. I chased after him and ran down the hall like a madman. Everyone seemed to know that I was coming, so they moved out of the way effortlessly while engaged in their conversation.

            I caught up to him in the quad and saw him surrounded by people I know all too well, the football team. I ran up to them while shouting, “Hey! Leave him alone!” They all turned around to look at me like I was crazy.

            The quarterback, Richard, spoke first. “I was just helping him up. He was running into the quad like a madman and he tripped.”

            “Oh…sorry for yelling.”

            “No problem. Let’s go guys. Let’s get breakfast.” They all followed him and Alek looked at me.

            “Why.” He said quietly.

            “Why what?” He shivered when he heard my voice. I took my jacket off and wrapped it around him. He looked up and answered me.

            “Why do you have to be a football captain? If you weren’t I would have…” he looked down, “tried to make you my boyfriend.” 

            “Why do you hate Football Captains?”

            “Because one hurt me…really badly…and I don’t want to be hurt anymore. I don’t care what people say about me. I just want a boyfriend who wants to love me for me, and all you football players want to do is hurt people like me who have to face the world over and over again to survive. I am tired of dealing with people who have bad intentions for me, so I have chosen not to do anything with them. Bye.” He turned and walked away, but I caught his swinging arm and pulled him against me.

            “I’m gay. Did you know that? I am gay and I don’t care what people say about me either, but, for some reason, I care about you more. I can see the hurt in your eyes and I feel like I want to take the pain away. Please give me a chance.”

            He looked away and I could feel his body tense up. “Can you give me a few days to think? I’m so confused. I don’t know anymore!” He turned and ran away from me, but I didn’t know where he was running off to. Homeroom starts in a few minutes and we have the same class…