Bitten

"Jane! Have you finished getting dressed yet?" My mom yells from the kitchen. I'm in front of my mirror, looking a my so-prized blue dress. I am supposed to be Cinderella for Halloween; my blond hair is all done and everything. I slide on my blue flats, imagining them as glass slippers.

    "Yes, Mommy!" I'm almost six years old but I'm as grown as any adult. Or so I believe. I open the door and run out to my mommy. "Do I look pretty? Like a princess, Mommy?" My blue eyes stare up at hers.

    "Yes, Princess Jane!" She smiles, eyes gleaming. "Time to go, your friend is here!" I giggle, full of delight. I grab my pumpkin looking basket and run outside, my Daddy holding the door open for me. I see Maya, my best friend, dress as Snow White.

    "This is going to be so much fun!" She tells me.

    "I can't wait to eat some chocolate!" We both laugh at that. Then Maya turns serious.

    "Princesses aren't supposed to eat chocolate! Do you want to get fat, Jane?" I turn serious as well.

    "No, Maya. I mean, Snow White." Then we're giggling once more. I can not hold a laugh when Maya acts serious. Her face looks weird when she does.

    "Then let's have our journey begin, Cinderella!" We start skipping to the next house. I ring the bell, for I'm taller than her by a couple inches. And her short, rich black hair doesn't help her height either.

    "Trick or treat!!!" We both yell when the woman opened the door. She puts candy in out baskets and we walk away.

    "Aw, I didn't get chocolate!" I stomp my foot, angry. I got a cherry lollipop, ugh. I look to see what Maya got. She has a blueberry lollipop.

    "I hate blueberries!" She whines with me.

    "Here, let's trade!" I offer.

    "Okay!" I place my lollipop in her basket and she places hers in mine. We then walk to the next house. It's covered with ghosts and spiders. I see a lot of boys dressed as zombies jump onto the man giving them candy.

    "They look so mean! Let's not go there, Jane." Maya whispers to me. I shake my head. I knew that man. He is super-duper nice. I'll talk to those boys.

    "No, I'll talk to the boys. I liked Mr. Brown!" The I stomp to his house towards the boys. They are taller than me, yikes! "Hey, you!" They turn towards me. They don't talk, trying to act like zombies, I bet.

    "You have zero right to jump on Mr. Brown. Go say sorry right now!" I'm front of the boys, trying not to sound scared. They stay silent. I look around, I'm surrounded. Uh-oh. One boy jumps on top of me. I try to scream but a hand covers my mouth. Pain attacks my arm. Then the boys run away.

    "JANE!!!! Are you okay?!" I stand, and my mouth aims for her out-reached-hand.