CHAPTER 36

They soon forgot Laksh's bewildering call as they spent the precious time enjoying each other's company.

The car, speeding on the state highway, was eating up miles but the song playing in the car's music system engraved the moment for Swara and Sanskar. It was just the two of them, secluded in an island of their own, their hearts humming together to the lyrics of the song.The words filling the air echoed their feelings.

Tu safar mera
Hai tu hi meri manzil
Tere bina guzara
Ae dil hai mushkil

Tu mera khuda
Tu hi duaa main shaamil
Tere bina guzara
Ae dil hai mushkil

Sanskar and Swara cherished the moment sharing their unspoken emotions in comfortable silence. Swara dozed on the way and Sanskar slid his hand behind her head to rest it on his shoulder, kissing and inhaling the fragrance of her hair to his heart's content. Last night at Hong Kong, when she entrusted herself to him, a new beginning was made and his heart burst with joy at the beauty of their togetherness. He never thought that he was capable of such intense emotions or love. How his 'Angel face' changed his perception of life....He smiled and caressed her face gently. He wanted this drama with Sisodia to end and begin his marital life with Swara soon. He could not even think of a moment without her. With this thought, he continued driving, enjoying and listening to music. The moment could not have been better. He hoped and wished that they would always remain together like this.

The village in Midnapore was not very big but it had modern outlets like cyber net cafe and booths for ISD calls. Many ancient temples and mosques dotted the village.The road to Sisodia's house followed rice fields and tilled land on both sides. Swara was awake and noticed the watch towers on either side. She nudged Sanskar and pointed it out to him. As they neared the sprawling village house, muscled men with country weapons followed them randomly

'Is this Banana republic? No law and order?' Swara asked with annoyance

'Sisodia is the law. It is the reason he wants to contest the election within the party. He thinks he can rule the world by becoming the party leader.'

'Is that why he does not want you to air the documentary on refugees we made?'

Sanskar nodded and replied 'The idea was well received by everyone in the party and the status of my friend who is a cabinet minister for refugees and immigration has gone up.The documentary which is in favor of him and what he is doing, will elevate his position in the party and make him the favorite to win the election. It is for this reason that Sisodia is trying to threaten me. He does not want the documentary to go on air and help my friend in winning the party leader post.'

'Don't you remember meeting him in the family functions?' Swara asked

'As far as I know, he has never attended any family function but I do remember meeting him vaguely because when Ishan showed me his photo,I found him familiar.Maybe when I was young,I might have seen him. But if he is the one causing all the trouble, I am not going to let him get away.' Sanskar spoke with anger lacing his voice.

They reached the gate and the security guards asked for his identity. Sanskar gave his name and waited. Swara observed that the squads following them were keeping a watch from distance. She knew that they would be watching them through binoculars and Sanskar would switch on the device that was attached to him, connecting to the crew.

The huge gate was opened slowly and Sanskar drove down the curving driveway. He stepped out of the car and opened Swara's door. Together they climbed up the steps to enter the den of Annapurna's brother. They were seated with flourish in the open courtyard by teeming servants. When they were served water, Swara picked up a glass to drink. But Sanskar nudged her and shook his head. So Swara put it back...