Louis shrugged. “Yeah, I guess I do.” He managed a really small smile which felt extremely forced as he managed to curve his mouth into what felt like a stiff, unnatural crescent; for the sake of courtesy, he felt he’d better attempt some kind of smile, at least.

“Are you okay?” she asked. “You look kind of scared.”

“I’m fine.” Just wondering what the hell I’ve just gotten myself into. His next smile was a little more genuine, supposed to be reassuring, but he knew that it still didn’t reach his eyes, still didn’t look quiteright, and Danielle didn’t fall for that evasion either. Her mouth pursed into a pout as she examined him thoughtfully, clearly trying to figure him out.

The silence stretched between them for a while; Danielle seemed to be struggling to decide whether to speak or not. Eventually, nibbling her lip, she looked anxiously up at him and tilted her head to the left ever so slightly.

“You know, if he doesn’t know you’re doing this, he won’t know if you…you know…” She squeezed his shoulder sympathetically, and then hesitated.

“Chicken out?” Louis asked sharply. “No, you’re right. He won’t know. Because I’m not going to.” He plucked the leotard from her hands. “I’m up for this. I just didn’t realize the outfit was going to be so tight, that’s all. It won’t cut off the circulation to my brain, will it?” He grinned.

“Brain?” asked Danielle innocently. “I didn’t know you had one.” She gave a sunny laugh. “No, it shouldn’t do. I’ve still got all my wits about me, and I’ve been dancing since I was six years old. You’ll be fine.” After a moment’s hesitation, she blurted out uncertainly, “he must be one special guy, if you’re willing to completely humiliate yourself just to get him to notice you.”

Louis felt the corner of his mouth twitch upwards. “I actually don’t think this is the most dramatic thing I’ve done for him, to be honest. But he’s cute, and he’s funny, and I never expected to like him as much as I do – but here I am, and there he is, and I’d quite like him to be over here with me by the end of the night…so, yeah. He’s pretty special.”

~*~

“Well, I have to say, you look like you’re in an absolutely brilliant mood,” Liam remarked, dropping into the chair beside Harry’s and helping himself to Harry’s untouched glass of coke without even thinking about asking permission. His limbs sprawling everywhere like a clumsy puppy, Liam shot Harry a playful grin, which wasn’t returned: forget swallowing a lemon; Harry looked like he’d bitten his tongue and then shoved a lemon into his mouth and squeezed the juice into the cut. “I take it this isn’t your cup of tea, then?”

Harry pulled a face. “Watching some poor girl leap out of a cake and then flounce around the room in a sticky-out skirt making a fool of herself? Is that anyone’s cup of tea?” Reaching across the table, he tugged his glass from Liam’s loose grip and took a small, delicate sip. “My mum seemed to think I’d enjoy it. I told her I wouldn’t, but…” He shrugged.

“Oh, it’s not that bad, really. I kind of know the girl who does it – I’ve spoken to her in the corridor a couple of times. It’s all very tasteful. I’ve seen it heaps of times before. And she’s beautiful, too – very, very beautiful.” He seemed to go off into a daze, thinking about it, and Harry grimaced in mock disgust.

“Yuck. Keep your fantasies to yourself, Payne. Don’t want to know.”

“Oh, come on. Don’t even try and tell me you’ve never fancied anyone before; I don’t believe it. There must be someone. A little tiny crush, back in high school… a celebrity you fell for…come on, you can tell me. I won’t laugh.” Liam’s enormous grin said otherwise, but Harry didn’t bother to point it out. He had no intention of discussing his ‘crushes’ with Liam – so far, Louis had been his funny, crazy, bouncy little secret, and Harry had every intention of keeping him that way.