Chapter 5 - Wishes coming true?

Start from the beginning

He answered the call and laughed naughtily after putting it to his ear. ''Hello.. Yes baby, I have reached safely and miss you loads too.'' He spoke funnily, trying to imitate me and I turned red in the face. He cracked up at whatever response he got and I impatiently tapped on his shoulder.. I couldn't wait to hear my Monster's voice. He had been at some album recording, which is why I couldn't call him earlier and by now, my patience had almost depleted.

''Manik.. Aa bhi jaa yaar.. Dekh, Nandini thodi beemar bhi lag rahi hai.. Tere yaad mein khaana peena chod diya hai ladki ne..'' Cabir clucked his tongue and began his silly banter. I shook my head, knowing Manik would become sick with worry listening to all of that. ''Haan haan deta hoon usko..'' He said and placed the phone on to my ear and I glared at him. He gave me a thumbs-up and got busy with Tara once again.

''Haan Manik, bolo.'' I spoke into the phone and moved into one of the bedrooms, so that I could absorb his voice in peace and gather strength from it.

''Yeh main kya sun raha hoon, Nandini? Don't tell me you aren't taking care of yourself.'' Manik scolded me, his concerned tone only managing invoke upsetting feelings along with some amount of anger . The stubborn monster was so worried for me, yet couldn't come here to make sure I would take care of myself. He doesn' t even have any idea of how much pain I've gone through since I've landed here.

''Ab aadat nahi rahi na apna khayaal rakhne ki.. You have been taking care of me for so long, I have forgotten how to do it myself.'' I responded, hoping he could hear the hurt in my voice. I had initially wanted to tell him Cabir was just joking and I was doing fine, but my  feelings now made me go along with the joke and I hoped he would come rushing to me.

''Please don't do this to yourself. And who will take care of Tara if you fall ill.. Apna nahi toh uske baarein mein socho..'' He begged helplessly and by now I felt pity for him. As much as the selfish part of me wanted him next to me, I couldn't let him stop eating and drinking because of our worry.
''Okay okay, relax.. I'm fine. Cabir was only messing with you.'' I admitted unwillingly.

He sighed in relief ''Don't scare me like that! You know how much I love..''

I wasn't fortunate enough to hear him confess completely.

''Nandini beta.. Where are you?! The table is laid. Lets have dinner.. Tara is also looking for you!!''

My mouth went dry and I clutched at the phone with both hands nervously. Manik had stopped mid-way listening to the voice that was calling me. Did he recognise who it was? I hoped with my entire being he hadn't.

''No. This cannot happen. You did not do that.'' I heard him softly speaking, more to himself, in disbelief. What I was dreading had actually happened. I didn't want Manik to come to know of my reunion with Uncle until he came here himself and now he knew.

''How could you.. You promised me.. And my Tara is with that ass?'' He was very hurt and the pain in his voice threatened to break me too. ''Manik, please try and understand.. He's very sorry for what he has done.'' I tried consoling him, mentally cursing the distance between us. I couldn't even look at him, hold him and try to prevent any probable misunderstandings with my assuring touch.

''You have betrayed my trust, Nandini Malhotra.''

''Manik..listen to me..It was just..''

''You have hurt me big-time.''

''Manik? Are you there? Manik?''

''....''

Only silence met me. The line had been disconnected.

The damage was done.

--------------------------------

It was Cabir and Navya's haldi ceremony the next day and so they had to leave immediately after dinner, having lots of last-minute preparations to look after. Harshad left along with them because Uncle Rajiv had been giving hints that it was time he leave too and he was smart enough to pick those hints. I had tried maintaining a smile throughout dinner and didn't let anyone know about our misunderstanding, despite the turmoil I was mentally going through. I sent Manik many texts from under the dinner table but there hadn't been any response.