1:: Katsu's Offer

Start from the beginning

I’m so screwed

~~

The festival arrived. After months of preparation, it was perfect. The smells of caramel, meats, candies, delicious delicacies, smoke, perspiration, and joy simmered in the hot July air. Screams filled the air around rides, while laughter and chatter drowned out the sound of the ocean, which was stronger than usual. People from Goa had come down to celebrate with us. Rich and poor, money was exchanged for treats and prizes, as bells rung and shouts of excitement and disappointment came from the stands.

The lazy, smoke filled breeze from the nearby food stands drifted back to where the stage was, fold out chairs lined up in neat rows with picnic tables behind it. People were already filling the seats, bringing food and the smells of perspiration mingled with the delicious aroma of food.

I stood nervously backstage, twisting my now combed hair between my fingers. Some acrobats were stretching on the lawn behind the stage with some dancers, musicians were tuning their instruments and a man with a monkey was trying to get him to stay still so he could put a tie on the monkey.

I watched the others run through their routine for a final time. Their routines were spectacular, costumes dazzling and focus sharp.

I took a deep breath to calm my jittering nerves, crinkling the nice shirt Makino got me at the hem.

~~

The show was a success . . . so far. I was next and I was biting my nails nervously, tearing away the sodden ends and then starting on another.

“Rhythm you’re up,” a man ushered me to the stairs to wait whilst the last act finished up.

“Crowds aren’t bad. This is my first time, yeah, but it won’t be my last. I’m going to make it count. One day I’ll be a pirate musician, but for now I’m just a musician,” I muttered to myself, “Yeah. That’s it! Now slow down, heart, so I can do what I do!”

The last act finished, the crowd clapping and cheering for the wonderful performance from the big city acrobats.

I came up on stage, heart racing, legs shaking and palms sweaty as the sunlight took place of the stage light as it sunk slowly over the horizon. Adrenaline pumped through my veins as all my senses were on high alert. I sat down at the grand piano a couple men pulled out and cracked my fingers, all eyes on me.

“I sense there’s something in the wind.

That seems like tragedy’s at hand

And though I’d like to stand by him

Can’t shake this feeling that I have

The worst is just around the bend

“And does he notice my feelings for him?

And will he see, how much he means to me?

I think it’s not to be~”

I ignored my slicked palms and shaking legs and let the music calm my soul. My heart pumped double time but my trained hands were now going through the familiar steps as they danced across the keyboard, not using all eighty-eight keys but enough to get what I was trying to say across the audience.

What will become of my dear friend?

Where will his actions lead us then?

Although I’d like to join the crowd