1:: Katsu's Offer

The yearly festival was coming to Foosha Village. It’s taken months to prepare for the one week of nothing but fun and adventure. Live music, fresh food, and partying till your legs break (literally, three years ago). People from nearby islands came to this festival. Even some royals up from Goa come down to celebrate.

“Jade, I think you’re old enough to participate in the Talent Show.” Makino said, wiping down the counter at the Party’s Bar.

“I dunno. Maybe.” I was twelve years old, the awkward stage where you’re not a teen and you’re not a kid anymore.

“You should sign up for the concerts. You can share your music with everyone. I know how good you are, and the customers love it when you play on the piano,” she jerked her head towards the small piano in the corner.

“I’ll think about it. Probably not.” I said.

“Oh you will, and I’ll make you a pretty dress to wear. How’s that?”

I turned and glared at her, “No.” and left the bar.

~~

The next day Woop Slap approached me with the same proposal.

“I don’t know! Probably not, depending if I got something good to show them.”

“Just sing anything and the crowd will love it!” he said.

The only reason he’s persuading me to do this is probably because he likes the idea of me being a singer than a pirate. Like hell, I’m a pirate musician.

~~

Dadan, Dogra, and Magra recommended the same exact thing, wanting to see me happy (or somewhere not here, as Dadan claimed).

“You’re happy when you sing, so why not share it?” said Dogra

“It’ll be great! We’ll sneak into town just for that and the food.” Magra added.

“Thanks but I don’t know.” I stomped from the tiny house and out to the forest. Damn it . . .

~~

The last straw was Luffy and Ace.

“Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!” Luffy chanted.

“It’d be great. I might even sneak into town. It’s your dream, right? To be a musician?” Ace said.

“Hell no! I wanna be a pirate musician!” I crossed my arms over my chest.

“Okay okay sheesh!” he held his hands up and laughed. Luffy was still chanting, “Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!”

“Shut up!” I hit him up-side the head.

Pretty clothes, non-piracy, free food, and happiness. Really? Are these all the reasons people can come up with?

“Fine.” I said. “I’ll do it.”

~~

I had signed up for musical performance. I leaned I had to wear something expectable, preferably semi-formal and I had to think of a song list. Something good. I’ve seen the talent show before, and these guys were serious. It wasn’t a competitive thing, but the fact important people came to this festival for the talented.