Chapter Ten

The Alpha conference finished today.

Sarah is leaving tonight.

I wish I knew where the time went so I could stop it from moving so fast. I wanted to push pause, or allow it to proceed but slower. Mom has been fretting over time this week too. I think Sarah's felt suffocated by mom's behavior recently. Mom's wanted to spend every second of the day with Sarah. When Sarah's out of the house mom is constantly texting her, it's been driving my sister mad. Sarah's always hated being coddled.

Mom and Dad have begrudgingly let Chase stay most nights and since we leave tomorrow, Chase checked out of his hotel room early. Even though we promised to be on our best behavior, I've heard my dad walk past my room late at night. I've confronted my dad about it, his response is simply "I was young once, I know what it's like." We just let him do it since it seems to ease his conscience.

"There, that's the last of it," Sarah announces as she ripped the packing tape on the last box. I sat on her bed, staring at all the boxes that contained her belongings. It was really strange how you could pack up your whole life in around a dozen boxes. Three boxes sat in her closet with the words 'to donate' written on them, the rest were to get packed into Scott's truck. Scott and Chase have already taken a few boxes and were loading them as we sat.

"I can't believe the conference is over already. Where did the last two weeks go?" Sarah glanced over at me with a small smile. It's bittersweet saying goodbye. I'm excited for this new chapter in our lives but closing the last is hard. I can't get over it. I slide over on the bed so I'm sitting beside my sister and pull her into a tight hug. "We'll call or text each other every day, you hear me?"

Sarah nods and rests her head on mine. I feel a tear land on my head, but I don't say anything. If I acknowledge that she's crying I know I will start too.

"You're always going to be my sister Mel, distance isn't going to change that." Too soon Sarah pulled away from me and grabbed some boxes to carry to the door. Change was healthy, I just had to keep reminding myself that and I could get through the next seven days. So, I lifted my head and helped my sister clear out her room. When Scott's truck disappeared down the road, I comforted my mother as she tried to hold herself together, and reminded her yet again that Sarah would visit as often as she could.

I just wish change could be easy.

*

I had to kick Chase out onto a couch that night. Mom and I had one last sleepover while I lived at home. I think just hearing my breathing and being near me helped calm her after Sarah left. Before we fell asleep we received a message from Sarah saying they had arrived in Scott's pack and the roads were good. I wish that had been enough to calm my mom down, but it didn't change how clingy she was. Despite it all, I didn't mind her clinginess, in fact, I was glad to have quality time with her before I left, I just hoped it would be enough to comfort her after I left today.

"Hey," Chase spoke from the door of my room. I brushed my wet hair from the shower I took when my mom left to make brunch and gave my mate a gentle smile while I readied myself for the day in my ensuite. "How's your mom?"

I sighed, trying to think of the words for my response. Honestly, I didn't know how she was doing or how she would be later tonight. Fate had dealt her a difficult hand, two daughters with mates not only from another pack but Alphas. I wish I could have stayed longer so it wasn't like Sarah and I were both leaving at the same time, but I couldn't keep Chase from his pack any longer. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

"I think she's okay for now, can't speak for later though." I finally answered. Chase made his way over to me, wrapping his arms around my waist and holding me close to his chest. I leaned into him, relaxing as I felt the flow of sparks travel through my body. I lingered against my mate for a moment longer before I leaned back towards the mirror to finish putting on makeup. Chase and I were supposed to spend a few hours hanging out with my friends before we left later this afternoon.

After a quick brunch, Chase and I excused ourselves and spent part of the afternoon at Daniel's where we chatted and played some games, planning to stay in touch as much as possible. Leaving my friends was hard knowing this was the last time for a while I would see them in person, but I knew I needed to focus on living in the moment and cherishing the time we have now.

Bradley and Chase began carrying boxes down to Chase's jeep shortly after we got home. Dad was busy distracting Mom while I packed up what was remaining in my room. I knew we would try to visit as soon as possible but I didn't know exactly when that would be so I had to make sure I had everything I would need. To my surprise, Mom eventually came up and offered to help me finish packing. I had cautiously agreed and spent time reminiscing with her.

"I would like one phone call a week," My mom said as she hugged me outside the house when it came time for us to leave. Her embrace was tight, her voice a little shaky but overall she was handling it better today. I squeezed her tight, taking in her familiar scent that held every childhood memory of mine.

"You'll be okay if I call more than once, right?" I asked softly. I could feel her smile against my temple.

"Of course, honey,"

I pulled back from her embrace and gave one to my dad and Bradley promising to keep in touch often. I gave my mom one last quick hug before I climbed into the passenger seat of Chase's jeep, smiling about how bizarre this concept would be in a human relationship. I had known Chase for about two weeks and already I'm moving in with him, but with werewolves, this was completely normal when your mate was in a different pack.

"You ready?" Chase asked.

"As I'll ever be,"