Lost Memories

The next morning we were a woken by a banging on our door.

"Wake up call, wake up call!"

I sat up and saw thirteen was already dressed in a black long-sleeved shirt and dark jeans with the same boots she wore yesterday sitting on the rug the blanket folded neatly next to her. I stood and went over to my duffle bag, it was empty.

"Thirteen," she turned to look at me " where are my clothes?"

"Second and third drawer from the bottom."

I opened the first drawer and pulled out a pair of folded jeans. 'How long has she been awake?' I wondered as I got a shirt from the other drawer. I noticed Thirteen looked away as I dressed.

Another knock came to the door.

"It's me Twenty-four, breakfast in five minutes your sister's out here waiting for you." Thirteen and I left the room to meet Rasna and Twenty-four.

"You know as long we are here she doesn't have to wear the shackle," Twenty-four said, "I don't think she's going to run away."

I removed the shackle and handed it to Rasna to stow in her purse that had been retrieved from the resort. As we walked to breakfast Twenty-four was explaining how days usually went, breakfast, training, lunch, hunting, free time, supper, night run (which is what we got caught up in), and bed.

As we entered the dining hall, all conversations stopped and every one turned to look as us. Twenty-four hissed and every one returned to eating, I guess he must have some level of authority. we sat next to Twenty-two who we learned was Twenty-four's sister. The vampires ate normal food which surprised me but, Twenty-two explained the fed at hunting time.

After breakfast we went down to the classrooms I followed Thirteen in to her class as I figured that was what I was supposed to do. I was given a seat next to her. The teacher was teaching dagger techniques so I guess this was the class for dagger users, I was not given a weapon for practice but i was glad that now everything was in English. I wondered which class Rasna had gone in to she seemed to be sticking pretty close to Twenty-four. I guessed she was in the sword users class. After an hour we left and went to another room and I saw on the board "Sensory Vampires" and I was reminded of the crystal ball on the end of Thirteen's dagger.

As we sat in class random vampires were being called out of the room and after one returned the next one was called. When Thirteen was called I followed her out and across the hall we entered a room with a chair with a helmet in middle of a circle where five vampires stood at regular intervals. Thirteen went and sat in the chair the helmet lowered and one of the other vampires said, "ok just relax." Thirteen relaxed and closed her eyes. Then there was a hum and the circle lit up. all the vampires held their hands out in front palms facing toward Thirteen.

"Anything?"

Thirteen shook her head.

They all flexed their hands

"How bout now?'

She shook her head again

This went on for at least five minutes the concentration of the vampires intensifying with each shake of Thirteen's head, until... her eyes snapped open and she sat up.

"my name-"

The others were waiting on bated breath.

"-no never mind." she slumped back in to the chair.

"Thank you Thirteen you may go." The helmet lifted and we left.

"What was that all about?" I asked.

"I cant tell you that its top secret."

"Thirteen," I said, "I command-"

"All right, all right."

"So tell me."

"I have no memories no one dose."

"What!"

"There was a great war only the ones who were too young or were not fighter material retained any of their memories, we have no family, had no skills, nothing."

"So Twenty-two and -."

"Yep, not really family."

"So why the numbers?"

"We have no names, numbers are infinity so we chose to use those and they were assigned at random."

"So it has nothing to do with age."

"Heck no, I'll have to explain how we age."

We sat with the rest of Thirteen's and Twenty-two's squad (that contained Thirty-four, a blond girl and Eighty-seven, a brunette male). The lunch was pizza but I didn't feel much like eating.

"Naxus? Are you ok?" My sister was looking at me concerned.

I looked at Thirteen she raised an eybrow as if to say 'dont you dare'.

"Im fine Rasna I'm just not hungry."

"If you say so Naxus."

Hunting was next but Rasna and I were forced to stay behind, so we met up in my room and talked about our day.

"I was sent to the medical class I didn't make any friends but that is to be expected my first day. Your lucky to have Thirteen with you."

"I thought you would have stuck with Twenty-four."

"I tried but when I couldn't lift the sword so,I was assigned to the medical core."

"Oh I see."

"Which is fine I knew a lot of the stuff they were teaching but I'm sure there is more to learn."

Thirteen returned but she was covered in blood.

"Thirteen? Wha-?"

She shook her head and retreated in to the bathroom and turned on the shower.

Rasna and I stepped outside my room and saw the center room once again filled with vampires Elder was there trying to calm them all down each one had blood on them but none as bad as Thirteen. I searched the crowd for Twenty-four, finally I spotted him at the front, unconscious supported between two other vampires I recognized one as Twenty-two.

"Rasna what-?"

My sister had left my side and was hurrying for the stairs. I followed her as she bounded down them taking five at a time an rushed in to the center room.

"Let me through, let me take a look, I'm trained!" Rasna shouted as she rushed to Twenty-four. "Lay him down you shouldn't support him like that unless absolutely necessary!"

I was surprised at how quickly the two supporting Twenty-four were quick to follow Rasna's instructions. while she told Twenty-two what she needed the other came over to me, he had black hair that was short and spiked.

"Where is Thirteen?" he growled.

I guessed this was Twenty-nine. "She is in the room showering." I said.

"Good." he growled, 'why was he speaking to me like I was some giant threat?' "Shes been through a lot.

"Twenty-nine." Elder said coming over to us, "I can't if you please."

Twenty-nine turned to the crowd, "everyone shut up!" he shouted and everyone fell silent, "there you go Elder."

"Thank you Twenty-nine. Now one of you tell me what is going on."

Forty-six stepped forward. "The Fayries have broken the treaty."

"What" I whispered to Twenty-nine.

"They are vile creatures."

"I thought they were nice and-."

"Your thinking of fairies, they don't exist."

"Oh-."

"Shut up human."

I fell silent Twenty-nine really didn't like me and I hadn't even done anything. I decided to keep away from him and try to stay on his good side if I was there.