Episode 1; Part 1

2022, humanity has finally...

.

.

.

.

...created a completely virtual environment

~~~~~

The VRMMORPG Sword Art Online specifically created for the NerveGear, the first Full Dive tool on the market. I stare at the empty cover of the game, the actual game already put into the Hardware.

Sunday, the 6th November 2022. Today, at approximately 13:00 o'clock, the servers of Sword Art Online would go online for the public, announcing the official beginning of Sword Art Online. I already prepared everything, hoping to be able to go online the second the server goes online. 10.000 copies were sold in total. In other words, everyone who has the game would either have to be a hardcore junkie or incredibly lucky. I would put myself in the first category. The curtains protect me from the awful thing called sun, the AC cooling the hot air.

The NerveGear had only boring puzzle games, none of them showing and using the full potential of the Hardware so I ignored it for the longest time. Still, once Sword Art Online was first announced, and with it the new game genre of a VRMMORPG, I knew I had to play it. Sadly, I was not able to play in the Beta though I guess I should be grateful to be able to play this game anyway. An entire virtual world, that mixed with an MMORPG? A dream of every gamer. And I hold it in my hands. The game which will undoubtedly never be forgotten as one of the greatest moments in gaming, no, in history in general!

I stare at the clock, something I have done quite often in the last hour. It's time! Immediately, I put on the NerveGear. Just one more minute. With a small grin, I lie down.

12.59

12.59

12.59

12.59

13.00

My grin widens.

"Link start!

Immediately, I lose my senses, the world outside, reality and me being disconnected. A progress done to ensure a complete virtual experience. Putting in a username and a password, I am sent to the Character Creation screen/place. 9500 people have already logged in leaving me baffled. Though I guess I should have expected as much. Without much care I pick a default character, deciding to create a better one on a later date. Playing the game right now is my top priority.

Welcome to Sword Art Online !

One step. I take a step forward. Reluctantly. And then I find myself exactly where I wanted to be. In Sword Art Online, in Aincrad. In the Town of Beginnings.

I grin slightly, making the people around me take a step back. My smile is not really welcoming looking. People told me that it looks evil, like a cackling witch. Slowly my smile disappears, my eyes wandering around to see the scenery. The fresh air, the taste of greenery and pastry. The cool air, hitting my skin. This is Sword Art Online. I still couldn't believe it. I just stared at my surroundings in awe, not believing that I am actually here. Though after a few seconds of admiration the gamer side of mine takes over.

My top priority is to first, get an understanding of the basics of this game. I guess skipping the tutorial wasn't the smartest move...
After that, I take a look around. It's better to have a general understanding of this town and the whereabouts of different shops. Checking quests is important as well. They are the foundation of MMORPGs after all.

First of all, I look at my menu. It took me some attempts to open it, considering I've never actually used the NerveGear before. "So that's how the menu is organized, huh?", I mutter to myself quietly, frowning after seeing that I don't have any weapon equipped. How unusual. Yet again, there are no classes either, I suppose.