I tried to pretend that I wasn't interested in the news, "Oh, well that sucks."

My chest felt heavy even as I tried my hardest to not be bothered by this new information. I didn't even feel bad that Bella was going to become one of them. Why? Because in my eyes I already saw a monster. All of this crap was happening because of her. If she hadn't pissed of Victoria, she wouldn't have made an army to destroy her.

"I'll come. But there is no way in hell I'm sharing a tent with her."

Jacob grinned at me and kissed the side of my head. I pushed him away, but he wrapped me in an iron grip. "You can't possibly be mad at me, Melody."

"Why not? I have every right to be mad! You continue to tell me that there is nothing between you and Bella, yet it seems like every chance you get, you go running off to be her knight in shining armor!" Jacob was looking at me head on and I tried to stop the word from falling out, but they kept coming, "How is that even fair to me? How am I supposed to live if I lose you too? Where else will I-"

My words were cut off by Jacob's lips pressing against my own. I tried to push him away, but he gripped the back of my head in a gently grip and deepened the kiss. My fingers slid up the back of his neck, and I gripped his black locks in my fist.

After a few seconds, he pulled away, "I know I keep messing up, but I am always your protector."

The sick feeling that had been in the bottom of my stomach lifted as I leaned into his warm side. His big arm wrapped around my back to press me tighter against him. I kissed the back of his hand.

"I'm sorry, Melody."

"It's okay, Jake."

,*.

Edward, Bella, and Jasper were already sitting on the field where the fight would take place. Jacob wasn't responding well to Bella, which made me happy. Edward and Jake glared at each other while Bella explained why Jacob would have to take her to the campsite.

Edward stared at Jacob. "I will carry Melody, Jacob. The newborns aren't as focused on her as they are Bella. They will most likely assume that she was just a human passing by on some hiking trail nearby."

Bella pushed me out of the way slightly so that Jacob could pick her up. Edward lifted me into his arms just as easily as Jacob had lifted Bella. Edward scowled at Jacob, "Run."

Jacob ran the opposite way with Bella staring at me. Edward had a slowed pace to stop the wind from most likely giving me a deathly cold. His stone arms made it hard already to get comfortable. We were both silent as he made his way up the hill. I hate his girlfriend, he hates my boyfriend. This is awkward.

"It isn't awkward, Melody." He chuckled. "I can understand why you dislike Bella. I am well aware of her feelings for Jacob, even though I can't see into her mind."

"And you're okay with it?"

"Bella has chosen me, Melody. I gave her the option to be with Jacob, but she still chose me. I have no need to worry over her choosing him."

I bit my lip. "I wish I could feel like that about Jacob."

"You will, Melody."

Doubt it.

,*.

"How do you think my dad would react if I died?"

Max looked up from his plate of spaghetti. "Are you planning something, kiddo?"

"No, but I know there have been a lot of bear attacks lately and I'm going camping..."

"He would be devastated, Mel, but I think you'll be fine with Jacob and the others."