Ch. 9 (PG): The Outing Turns into a Heart to Heart Chat

Start from the beginning

Yet as he join's Lady Knott's carriage and he sees where they are going—intrepidly in the lightly falling snow--Lord Christian is more concerned with the firmly middle class section of Cheapside, London that they find themselves in, rather than that the shops will be prohibitively expensive as they are in the more fashionable districts. And he then notices that Lady Knott has eschewed wearing her usual double strand of pearls and is instead wearing a much more restrained pearl broach circlet. Lord Christian believes that this illustrates that Lady Knott knows how to get a good bargain—and that does not happen when she flaunts her wealth.

As Lord Christian alights first from the carriage at their destination, he looks around. Though the area is nowhere near the epicenter of the beau monde's more elegant shopping district of Bond street, everything looks tidy—if a little worn and in need of a new coat of paint. But paint costs money and the middle class proprietors seem to be thrifty.

As Lord Christian helps each lady exit the fine Knott family crested carriage—first Lady Knott, then Lady Madeline and then his sister Lady Lizzie—the foursome is almost immediately greeted most warmly by the husband and wife proprietors of the prosperous looking shop before them. And the large sign over head indicates that the shop is eponymously—if a little wordily--called the Blenkins Emporium of Fine Goods.

Lord Christian perceives that the shop merchant husband is about ten years older than himself, but the wife seems younger than her husband. They are dressed neatly in complimentary grey—a grey pinstripe tailored waistcoat under a plain grey suit for him and an ivory rufflely bodice over a grey pinstripe skirt for her. It is still chilly and snowy outside. So they are all quickly bustled inside to the store's warmer foyer area—even as the tinkling bell above the door jingles announcing their arrival—doffing their snowy coats and hats for their comfort, their possessions being relegated to the secure confines of the Blenkins private parlor for special guests such as they.

Mr. Blenkins: "Ah! My Lady Knott! You grace us with your presence once again. It is a distinct honor and pleasure, Madam." He bows deferentially to her rank and to her position as one of his best customers. And in Mr. Blenkins mind, best does not necessarily mean that Lady Knott spends a great deal of money at each visit to their establishment. But her loyalty and regularity of patronizing his store--and mentioning their store to other potential clients--is very welcome.

Lady Knott: "Thank you, Mr. Blenkins. And Mrs. Blenkins, I see that you are soon to issue forth another babe." She pats the lady's rounded belly. "You must allow me to give you my blessings for the upcoming birth." Lady Knott smiles warmly.

Lord Christian hides a grimace with a slightly raised eyebrow. He is unaccustomed to seeing a lady in public in such a condition, since ladies do not go out in society once they are showing their with child condition—let alone, her working during her condition. But of course, Mr. & Mrs. Blenkins are of the middle class who seem to have different traditions in society. In fact, Lord Christian does not believe that he has ever seen a lady in such a state.

Mrs. Blenkins: "Oh, Thank you Milady. You are so kind." Mrs. Blenkins smiles sincerely at Lady Knott and is rewarded with a cordial smile in reply. "Now let me guide you and the young ladies into my parlor for some tea to warm you up whilst you tell us what you have come to shop for." The just above thirty year old Mrs. Blenkins is ever gracious to their favorite customers. And there are two other customers with store clerks attending them. Then Mrs. Blenkins also looks patiently at the handsome gentleman with them.

Lady Knott: "Oh my manners! You know my granddaughter Lady Madeline. Maddie dear, you remember Mr. and Mrs. Blenkins."

Lady Madeline: "Of course, Grandmama. It is delightful to see you again, Mr. & Mrs. Blenkins."