Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Their after detention walk home was unusually quiet, as was the Detention itself. Usually on the way home the teens would go into the woods and shift into their tan and silver wolves, then race all of the way home, that was the joys of living by the National Forest. But today Devlin didn't suggest it, and Ansleigh still wasn't speaking to him.

She knew that her behavior in the lunchroom was uncalled for, but if he wasn't going to talk to her then she wasn't going to talk to him either. It was just unfortunate that he was almost as stubborn as she was.

She had, had a lot of practice being stubborn over the years. Growing up in a house with three older brothers, one of which being the next Alpha, she had to learn to stand her ground. Just because she was a girl did not mean that they went easy on her. Of course they were protective of her, like any good brother is, but they still made her work for whatever she wanted.

She hadn't realized how long they had been walking until she smelled the fresh baked cookies coming from the house. Her and Devlin picked up their paces at the same time. As soon as they let themselves into the house they headed straight for the kitchen.

"Hey Nana." Devlin said as he picked up a hot cookie and shoved it all into his mouth. "Where is mom and dad?" He asked, crumbs falling out of his stuffed mouth.

"Slow down or you're going to choke." Sam told her youngest grandson. "They're upstairs in the study, waiting for you two to get home. I came over to help your mom start the dinner for tonight. They received a phone call from your school and they have been upstairs ever since discussing what to do with ya'll." She looked at both of them pointedly.

Ansleigh grabbed a cookie off of the pan and took a bite from it. After chewing on it slowly she announced out loud, "Well I guess that it is time to face the music." She snatched a few more cookies before turning to head upstairs.

Samantha shook her head at her grandchildren's backs as they retreated. She had known that her son and his wife would have their hands full with four pups so close in age, but she had put her money on the twins causing the most grief. That was a bet that she had lost years ago.

When Ansleigh and Devlin reached the door to the study it was already open and waiting for them. "Come in and have a seat." Daymen told them.

They filed in and took their designated seats in front of the desk. "What's up daddy?" Ansleigh asked, trying to turn on her best baby girl charm.

"Ansleigh Rose, don't pull that with me. You know exactly why you are in here." Her dad told her sternly. "Your principal called, again, today. Why do you keep missing first period? Why can't you two take school more seriously like your brothers?"

"Because we keep missing the bus. And please dad don't give us that. Alex was in here just as much as we were last year. The only reason that he is taking 'school' so serious now is because he found out that Madison was his mate. You know just as well as I do, our duo was a trio before then. And come on, you really can't expect us to be like super genius Draven, that's not even fair. Just because he graduated at sixteen, like you, doesn't mean that we all will." Ansleigh burst out.

Daymen rubbed his head in frustration, he swore that it was easier to run a whole pack than it was trying to keep these two under control. "An please. Do not try to turn this around on me. You know that I'm not trying to compare you with your brothers. I'm just trying to figure out why you two can't take school more serious. It's important to get an education."

"Dad, we're sorry ok. We'll try to get to school on time from now on." Devlin finally spoke up. "I know that we can take it more seriously, starting tomorrow."

"I hope you're right Devlin. Your birthday is next month. I would hate for you to be grounded during it." The Alpha told his son.

"That's not fair!" Ansleigh exclaimed. "It's my fault. I over sleep and Devlin doesn't want me walking alone. I will set my alarm for earlier, and get up on time. Just please, don't punish Dev because of me. Please daddy!"

The large wolf's shoulders sank. Jazmyne walked over to her husband and put her hand on his shoulder. "Just please, try harder. We don't like punishing you guys, but you need to learn that this isn't how you go through life." She told her children.

"Yes ma'am." They said unanimously.

"Thank you. Please shut the door on your way out. Dinner is in an hour" Their mother told them.

The two left their parents in the study and shut the door like they were asked.

Ansleigh started to head up to her bedroom to get ready for supper. "Hey An." Devlin waited for her to turn around, before he continued. "Thank you. Ya know, for what you did for me back there."

"Yeah, yeah. You're welcome brother. And I'm sorry for earlier. I had no right. It's your birthday and you should celebrate it with whoever you want, no matter how annoying they are." She smiled at him and turned back to head to her previous destination. "Leave your door unlocked tonight." She said over her shoulder.

****************************************