Me, Myself, and Marshall

By: Andrew Marshall Coyle III

Chapter One

The Beginning

Hello I would like to introduce myself to you, my name is Marshall, and I have a personality disorder.  I know this may sound strange to those who are not familiar with this type of behavior, but I have two personalities that I switch back and forth between, which is not something that I can control, it just happens.  Some days you will have the pleasure of meeting normal Marshall and then other days will not be so pleasant and you will get to meet mad Marshall.   My Mommy tells me to fight the urge to allow mad Marshall to come out, but I just don't have the control over it, I don't want people to meet that side of me.  He only comes out when someone or something makes me really angry, I don't like for things to make me angry, it makes me very sad.  Since I have this personality disorder, I always go to the funny doctor, his name is Doctor Andrew. My Mommy tells me he is a special doctor that treats only special kids like me; this makes me happy that I have a unique doctor just for me.  Doctor Andrew tells me that he is the best doctor ever and I totally agree with him.  It makes me feel good when I get to visit him and talk about those things that make me angry and he tries to help me by giving me ways to keep mad Marshall inside. The only thing that I do not like about our visits is he gives me a terrible medicine to fight mad Marshall.  I hope that someday, that terrible medicine will make mad Marshall go away and stay away forever. 

Today is my first day of third grade, I am very nervous; I don't want mad Marshall to come out.  My best friend is in my class, her name is Simone, and she is a really awesome person. Simone talks to me when I am mad, she knows just the right things to say to calm me down and mad Marshall never scares her off.  Another person that I spend a lot of time with at school is Mrs. Brooke; she is the counselor at my school. The school counselor is the person that helps out with students with behavioral issues, even though my issues are not like a lot of the other students that can control their anger, she still helps me too when I am mad.

Oh no, not the Roberts brothers, please tell me they are not in my class this year!  They are known around school as the number one bullies and they are proud of that title.  One time they picked on me so much that they made mad Marshall come out, but Principal Bradley came along just in time. Mad Marshall was just about to really put those two in their places, but luckily no one got hurt.  Principal Bradley called my Mommy and told her what had happened; she came to get me and rushed me to my funny doctor.  We talked about what had happen, he said that I would have to start taking a new medication it was even stronger than the one I was already on. Doctor Andrew told my Mommy and me that I would need to be out of school for a while to see how I was going to adjust to the new medication.  I really couldn't understand why those Roberts brothers didn't have to take this yucky medicine, even though I was the one that was supposed to have the personality disorder problems they were the ones that made mad Marshall come out! 

Chapter Two

Marshall's Return to School

After a couple of weeks Dr. Andrew tells Mommy it is ok for me to return to school.  For me it is like starting school all over again, I am really nervous, but I just think about all of the kids in my class and how I have missed some of them.  There is this one kid I sit by in class his name is Devin he has an eating disorder, one time he ate six potatoes in like ten minutes, that is why his nickname is potato.  He has to see a doctor like me that is just for special kids like us.  He tries to tell me that I should take my anger out on food and if I done that it would have probably kept him from eating all six of those potatoes because he could have made mad Marshall come out smash the potatoes and then he would not have eaten them.   The kid that sits behind me is named Clay, he is a basketball player. Some people from high school told me Clay's cross over could kill you. Well today he gets to prove it to everyone because we have gym. We walk into the gym to see Coach Paige in her track uniform; she is a two-time state campion. We do are warmup and are ready to play.   Coach Paige throws the ball up, Caleb and Sammy also known as the Roberts brothers, both go for the ball they collide in midair and fall flat on the floor.  I grab the ball and throw it to Clay he sinks a 3-pointer; this makes the Roberts brothers very mad.  I could tell they were going to come after me.  I get the ball again, Sammy and Caleb are both guarding me, and it was a Roberts's brother's sandwich. They get two arms on me and push me down hard; I knew they were trying to hurt me. I get up and throw a hard punch at Caleb, knocking him to the ground. When he gets up I noticed his nose was bleeding, oh what have I done.  Sammy sees the blood drip from Caleb's nose and passes out. Even though I see the blood and in my mind I know I have hurt Caleb I cannot control my anger, mad Marshall tries to get a couple more punches in, Coach Paige tries to hold me back. In rushes Principal Bradley, when I am in this state nothing can stop me except Principal Bradley.  He grabs me by the neck of my shirt and drags me to his office. He talks to me in a firm voice; he tells me I am going to have to keep mad Marshall in check. After about an hour of talking in his firm voice he explains that the school system is doing everything possible to allow me to remain in a normal school since they are aware of my condition, but he cannot put the other kids in danger.  I beg Principal Bradley to please give me another chance, he eventually allows me to go back to the class room.