Chapter 3- Latrice

What the hell was I thinking? Getting naked in front of a man I didn't know? With a camera?

Okay, he was a professional, but that didn't mean the images wouldn't turn up on the internet, or on the walls of the studio.

And oh, my God, I'm an accountant for God's sake. We didn't do stuff like this!

Was I fun and flirty? Yes. Did I like to play around? Yes. In the privacy of my bedroom. This was a studio, a public studio. What if a family with five kids walked in looking to get a family portrait? What if one of my friends decided to show up and see if I went through with the photo shoot? Or worse, what if that young Ken guy came back because he forgot something?

A knock on the door made me jump and yelp.

"Latrice? Sorry, it's just me; I didn't mean to scare you. Is everything okay?"

The sexy timbre of Phillip's voice warmed my insides.

"Yes, I'm fine, just checking my phone to see if the babysitter sent me any messages," I lied.

"Oh, okay. If you need to go, I'll understand."

"No, no, I'm fine, I swear." I squinted, then wrinkled my nose.

"Good. Well, I'm leaving the black sheet beside the door on a chair, okay? Take everything off and wrap it around you. Come out when you're ready. I'll be finished setting up in about ten minutes."

Ten minutes? That soon?

I forced myself to relax. "Okay!"

Phillip stood near the door for a few more seconds before I heard him walk away.

I sat down on a chair in the changing room and popped my forehead with the heel of my hand.

And to think, thirty minutes ago, I imagined getting naked in front of him for pictures. What seemed like a great fantasy was now frightening reality.

But, Phillip was a professional, and my imagination had been just that. This was going to be strictly about his portfolio and not attraction or sex. The sex part was just my need of some action after a dry spell since the divorce. After all, I wasn't some free and single woman anymore. I'm a mother with a young daughter who was not about to introduce anyone to her because mommy needed to get laid.

I forced myself out of the chair, retrieved the sheet he'd left behind, and stripped. Naked, I stood in front of a full-length mirror so conveniently hidden behind the door. For the first time, I appraised myself in a way I hadn't done before. I wasn't the same woman I was four years ago...before I'd given birth to my daughter. Back then, my body had been tight because of the amount of work I put in to keep it that way. Why else would Evan have been so eager to be with me? But after giving birth? I was thirty-seven at the time, and my body didn't bounce back as it would have if I'd been younger. A few things were sagging in all the wrong places and my tummy wasn't exactly flat anymore.

I sighed. It was too late to back out now. Besides, he'd only be aiming the camera at my shoulders and feet, right? Thank God for the recent pedi.

When I opened the door to the studio, it was nearly pitch-black. I gathered the black silk sheet –man he had good taste- from around my feet and walked carefully toward the light. The studio had taken on a completely different appearance. Candles stood on tall pedestals around a platform that was also draped in black satin. Two lights stood on stands, aimed at the platform.

As I padded up behind Phillip, he turned. His eyes traveled the length of my body before he cleared his throat. "Are you ready for this?"

Unable to speak, I nodded.