Reality is Our True Nightmare

Start from the beginning

"Wouldn't have expected any less from a detective. Yes, I do admire Kaitou Kid. You see, I am a magician in training," the boy responds. With a flick of his wrist, an ace of spades appears in his hand. Another flick draws the ace of clubs. The detective stares, unamused.

"The cards are hidden within your sleeve," he points out, causing the magician to frown, "magic is just an illusion, nothing more than fancy tricks."

"You wound me, Kudou-San," the magician replies dramatically, making the cards vanish. He leans in towards the detective, and reaches for the pocket of his pants.

"Hey, what are you?" the detective's cheek bones become painted with color, as the other teen slips his hand into his pocket. He pulls his hand back, and in it is a white lily.

"A lily? That is the flower for the month of May. It also represents purity," the magician covers the flower with the hand that isn't grasping the stem. When his hand draws back, the flower now has pink petals. He offers it to Shin'ichi. The detective plucks the flower out of the magician's fingers. The teen smiles, as Shin'ichi examines the flower. A hand reaches for the magician's hand next, and looks over it. He gives a sigh.

"The flower was probably covered with white chalk giving it the appearance of a "white" lily. As you brushed your hand against the flower, you removed the chalk, and made the flower "become" pink. But how you knew my birthday was in the month of May, I don't have an answer for. Please enlighten me."

"A magician never reveals his tricks," the teen replies.

"I could assume that I have met you before, and don't recall, or I could be led to believe that you are a stalker," the detective explains.

"Isn't it thrilling just to see something that is unreal? Something that doesn't have an answer? There is some grey in this world too, Kudou-San, black and white aren't the only colors." The detective smiles.

"What is your name?" Shin'ichi asks.

"Kuroba Kaito," the magician replies.

"Kudou Shin'ichi," the detective responds back, "it is a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine," Kaito replies. The magician pulls out his phone checking the time. "Sadly, I must head out. If you don't mind, maybe we can have coffee together sometime."

"Sure, that would be nice. Do you need my number?" Shin'ichi asks, as the other teen stands up from the table.

"I already have it," he responds, leaving the library. Shin'ichi stares dumbfounded, before pulling his phone out of his pocket. He spots a new message from a number he is unaware of the owner to.

[You were more focused on the uncomfortable position I put you in, making you unaware of me using your phone to text myself :P ]

"Ran's over there," Kazuha points out to the detective of the west. He follows Kazuha's finger until he finds himself gazing at his counterpart's childhood friend. Together Kazuha and Heiji begin walking towards the girl.

"Hey," Heiji waves to the girl, pulling her out of her thoughts.

"Ran," Kazuha greets, pulling the girl into a hug. Ran returns the embrace, replying with Kazuha's name.

"Where is Kudou?" Heiji questions as the girls pull apart.

"He didn't want to come," Ran explains.