Chapter 4: Recovery Part.2

Nick laid in the bed with the nurses checking his arm and asking if he needed anything else.

"I'm really fine now, thank you" He nodded, smiling as the nurses got out and Daisy and Gatsby came in.

"Nick!" Daisy grinned as she walked towards him with opened arms, not hugging him but carefully grabbing his face and kissing his cheek multiple times. "Nick your alright!" She looked at him and then at his arm, gently placing her hands near the wound. "Oh Nick... this is horrible..." She looked up at him "Did you see him..? The person who did this?"

Gatsby looked at Nick and Nick to Gatsby. He shook his head at Nick. Nick seemed to have a blank expression wondering why he hadn't told Daisy.... But he knew there must have been good reasoning behind it. He shook his head.

"...I-I didn't see them, Diasy.." he said looking a convincing tone "I was hiding behind a pillar most of the time and when I was out in the open it was to throw a vase at him... but I only saw him from the back.."

She sighed, disappointed. 

"I heard he... killed himself... what a terrible thing to do... why would he have attacked you...? Just why did he go after you-- or..." she turned to Gatsby. "He... wasn't after you..." she shook her head. "Gatsby! You must know who it was... they were after you... did they want money..?! Those rumors at the party...."

Nick shook his head, tired of having constantly heard those rumors. 

"Daisy... Gatsby isn't--"

"Nick. I really do have to insist that you move in with me and Tom!" She looked at Gatsby and shook her head. "I wondered... what kind of things you did to gain your wealth... I thought I knew but there MUST have been some rumors that were true..." She turned away from Gatsby, unable to face him.

"Daisy..."

"Yes, Nick?" she smiled at him. hoping he would move with her and Tom. Gatsby still hadn't even handed him the flowers... But he smiled sadly, looking down and accepting that these flowers would carry more meaning that just for him to recover... but would also hold their goodbyes.

"While you're offer is kind... I can't accept..." 

Daisy was surprised, Gatsby also looked up and turned to Nick.

"It just wouldn't be right for me to intrude in your family.... but also...Gatsby isn't the man we all expected... but he's an incredible man with a tremendous heart..." 

"But--" Right as Daisy was about to protest Tom returned with flowers. "Niicckk Carraway!" he said as he laughed, coming in and interrupting the tension in the room. Daisy was still upset about Nick not taking her offer but she knew Nick was just that kind of man. She once saw something in Gatsby... something that made her think she saw it again when they were reunited... it attracted her before and she thought again but it had changed... now Nick sees it.

Nick laughed as well, thanking Tom and Daisy as Tom placed the flowers on one of the stands beside the bed. Nick looked at Gatsby, noticing the larger flowers that he had been behind Daisy.

"Have you really been holding those this whole time..? How is it that I missed those?" he chuckled and shook his head. "Maybe there was more damage than they thought.." He joked.

Gatsby chuckled but Daisy didn't seem so pleased by the joke. "Now Nick... You're lucky it wasn't any more serious... but I'm relieved..." she fixed the bouquet, sniffing them and smiling. "Tom... was there a bigger bouquet?" She mentioned it since Gatsby's rose bouquet was much larger. "So last minute... how did you manage to get those..?" Gatsby chuckled "I had them prepare and send them as soon as I headed here...its a good little store I know.." he seemed pleased. Tom rolled his eyes and looked at her. "Alright Daisy.." he chuckled "You sent me for a bouquet... I fetched a bouquet but... we should go... Nick needs time to relax and calm down from the experience he just had... and Pammy is waiting for us."

Daisy turned to him and while she didn't want to go.. She knew he was right and they couldn't be away from their daughter... Nick was family but at least she knew he was alive.

"You're right, Tom..." she walked over to Nick again and gave him a kiss on his forehead "but...if you change your mind, Nick... just give us a call..." She smiled, touching his cheek. He smiled back, nodding. "Thank you, Daisy."

They waved and soon headed out, Daisy blowing kisses till the door closed behind her. Gatsby finally walked to the other stand and placed the flowers in a vase the nurse had left for him. "How are you feeling..?"

Nick turned to him, resting his head back against his pillow. "Tired... and a bit sore.." he laughed. "You know... I couldn't stop thinking... What if I didn't see him..? What if I wasn't able to make it in time...? Would you have--" Gatsby touched his shoulder, his other hand in his pocket as they looked at each other. "You saved my life, Nick... We're both here... and we're alive.." Nick smiled, relieved. "I'm glad you're okay Gatsby...I just...--" he paused, noticing Gatsby's face get closer, feeling his soft lips peck his.

They both paused for a moment. Nick confused, Gatsby also seeming confused but then saying...

"Call me James.."

As Daisy and Tom arrived to their car, Daisy carried on about what had happened... and the thought of being shot... 

Tom however wasn't listening... He had overheard them. He had stood by the door for a while and he was relieved that they hadn't reveal the shooter to her... It would have been easier if Nick left Gatsby's side but even then he had Daisy back..and she already believed that it could have been Gatsby's fault he was shot. He could still convince them both that it was Gatsby's past that almost got them killed.

"Tom...? Tom!" 

"Huh? What is it Daisy?" He snapped out of it and winded up the car. "Has the whole thing started to make you think too..?" Tom looked at her. "Daisy... you know why this happened, right...? It was Gatsby's fault.."