twenty: interesting revelations

Start from the beginning

"Are you sure?"

"Mm. Positive."

"Alright then," Lily shrugged, spooning some soup into her mouth. "So, any ideas who the girl is?"

"No," Brooklym snapped hastily. "Why would I bother to care, much less find out?"

"Just wondering," Lily said, widening her almond-shaped eyes innocently. "It's rather intriguing, he's never really mentioned anything about a special girl before."

"Mmmhmm," was the only thing Brooklyn could bring herself to mumble as she stared down at her plate intently, her eyebrows furrowed, like her dinner had personally offended her in some way. Lily's eyebrows raised even higher. "You seem upset. Why's that?"

"Huh? I'm not upset," Brooklyn said half-heartedly. "Why would I be upset?"

"I think you're jealous," Lily stated matter-of-factly, causing Brooklyn to scrunch her nose up in bewilderment, looking at her friend like she was speaking in a completely different language. "Jealous?"

"Right. Of this girl James likes."

At those words, Brooklyn immediately scoffed, shaking her head in indignation. "That's absurd. I'm not jealous."

"Right, and I'm not a redhead," Lily drawled sarcastically, rolling her eyes. "You are."

"Why on earth would you think that? I don't give a damn about James Potter or his stupid love life."

"Sure about that?" Lily asked teasingly, causing Brooklyn to shift around uncomfortably in her seat. "Yeah, of course.. I don't.. I just... You know, Potter... He's...er.. He's..."

"Horrible? Arrogant? Juvenile? Insufferable? Repulsive?" Lily suggested helpfully, recalling some of the words Brooklyn had used before. She paused, her lips curving up into an amused, mischievous grin. "Sexy?"

There were a few dead beats of silence before Brooklyn hurriedly glanced around the table, looking flustered. "Are Marlene and Alice still at the library?"

"Stop changing the subject!" Lily's eyes widened with smug realisation as she sucked in a sharp breath. "Oh, Merlin. Is it finally happening? Could it be true? Is it really possible that you have feelings for James Po—"

"Shut up, Lily!" Brooklyn hissed, her face turning bright red. "I don't... I'm not... I..."

"Oh, Merlin, it's true." Lily's eyes widened even more.

"No, its not! I don't—"

"I knew it!" Lily exclaimed loudly, much to the surprise of several students seated nearby. Her expression was triumphant and gloating as she stared at her friend. "I knew it!

"But—" Brooklyn tried to protest feebly but was interrupted. "Oh, come on! Just admit it!" Lily demanded loudly, pointing an accusing finger at the other girl. "You like James Potter."

"I don't–"

"You like him," Lily crowed. "Oh god, you do!"

"Don't.... Don't say it!" Brooklyn pleaded, trying her best to slide down in her seat and disappear. Lily, however, was not letting her off that easily.

"No way!" Lily shook her head gleefully. "I've spent four years trying to get a confession out of you, and I'm not shutting up now! See, I knew it! Oh, me and the girls were right all along!"

Brooklyn tried to splutter a response, but just then, her emerald eyes widened and she squealed incomprehensibly as she spotted the very subject of their conversation entering the Great Hall with his friends at that precise moment.

"Oh, Merlin, he's here! He's... Shut up, Lily, he's.... Oh god, Lily.. don't!" She shrieked, covering her tomato-red face with her hands and completely loosing her head as James caught sight of her and immediately made a beeline towards her.

Lily, on the other hand, was enjoying herself too much to heed her friend's words. "Oh god, wait till I tell the girls! You—"

"Lily!" Brooklyn begged. She couldn't take it anymore. Just as James reached them, she jumped up from her seat, slinging her bag over her shoulder and storming out of hall, bumping his shoulder in the process.

Baffled, James turned to Lily, running a hand through his hair. "What was that all about?"

Lily shrugged. Her face was angelically innocent as she went back to eating her dinner. "No clue."

Sirius, who had been watching the whole incident with an amused expression, shook his head. "Girls. Fucking mysteries."