we are (not) nobles

Start from the beginning

⠀⠀⠀"He isn't a pet. He knows how to bathe."

⠀⠀⠀"There's no doubt about that," Akane says, almond-hued eyes rolling. "The problem is that the slaves that live here have a certain amount of water to use every five days. It's monitored extremely well so no one can have more than the other. At this point, there's not enough water for him to bathe, if there's any at all. You are going to have to take him into the mansion and give him a bath there."

⠀⠀⠀At this, Mikaela smirks.

⠀⠀⠀Oh, wasn't he lucky.

⠀⠀⠀After having to explain to every servant Guren had around the mansion, with lots of bribing involved, Yuichiro managed to sneak Mikaela into the golden wing where his bathroom was. With the trail or dirt and dust creeping after the blond male, he figured he would clean up the evidence while the other was bathing. Pushing Mikaela into his bathroom, he followed suit with burning cheeks, "Bathe fast, okay? I have no idea when my father will be back from training, but I'm assuming we don't have much time."

⠀⠀⠀Mikaela doesn't even give him a glance, for he's already beginning to take off the ragged shirt he had been wearing for as long as he had been in the auction district.

⠀⠀⠀Bewildered, the raven squeaks, his gloved hands reaching to cease the other from his actions. God, what is this guy trying to do to him? "What— What in hell are you doing?"

⠀⠀⠀Mikaela perked an eyebrow, visibly annoyed. "You ordered me to bathe quickly, but it doesn't seem like you'll be leaving any time soon, so here I am, undressing."

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro has never been so mortified in his whole life. His ears are scorching from the blush on his almond-toned skin, the coloration spreading like a wildfire across his body. He attempts to clear his throat in hopes it will return the seriousness and pride he once owned. "R-right, I'm sorry."

⠀⠀⠀"You don't need to apologize," Mikaela mutters, monotone. "I am merely a slave. It is a transgression for nobles to treat us so humanly."

⠀⠀⠀It is things like this that makes Yuichiro realize and remember why he never wanted a slave under him. If there was one thing he could not stand as a noble, a higher up, as close to royalty— it was the fact slaves were so below them, it was as if they were animals. Hell, even the chickens in the coop near the slave's area were treated with more respect than some others in their large country. He never wanted to handle another as if they were inhuman. Luckily, his father, Colonel Guren, was the closest to humane there was within his country. Servants in his home had the luxury of having their own rooms and freshly prepared foods. Slaves had more water to use, more foods to consume, as well as clothes to wash.

⠀⠀⠀In a way, he was glad he had grown up with the father he has. A man who has the same outlook as him.

⠀⠀⠀But it didn't change the fact that Mikaela had grown up and had gotten used to being treated and pushed around like human garbage.

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro didn't know what in him decided to do this, but his hands started to move on their own, the tips of his fingers brushing the other's rough and pale chin. Mikaela, though grey and seeming no emotion, gulped in surprise to the contact. He did not move, simply allowed his new royal master do as he pleased. To Mikaela, it was soft... almost welcoming. It was as if the other was trying to tell him that it was okay, that he was okay, that everything was okay.