On the left side of the cabins were the riding stables. Most of the campers could ride horses and the camp had about twenty horses free for the campers to ride. The stables were a new addition to the camp and they hadn’t been there the last time.

                In front of the cabins for the campers were the mess hall and also the rangers’ cabin where the rangers of the camp slept. The campers all ate in the mess hall and sat at about a hundred tables. The rangers’ cabin was also where the campers went when they had free time and when they didn’t have activities arranged by the camp rangers.

                Behind the campers’ cabins was the campfire. All the campers and the rangers had a campfire every night. They also sang songs and some of the campers played the guitar. Every night the campers roasted s’mores and marshmallows.

                All around Camp Forrest was a huge wood with not many paths. It was very easy to get lost in the large woods around the camp. The bus driver was specially hired because he knew the woods very well. He always drove all the campers to and fro from schools.

                Dahlia fished her tote bag out from amongst the enormous mass of bags. All the bags were dumped in a pile just outside the bus. Troy heaved his duffel bag and Helen’s suitcase out of the pile before any more bags were lumped down on top of the rest of the bags. Olive also grabbed his bag.

                Once they had retrieved their bags, they headed over to the cabins. There were a lot of cabins for hundreds of campers went there to enjoy the camp. All of them were separated for their age groups were different.

                Dahlia lugged her tote bag and backpack into her cabin. Several other girls were unpacking their clothes and belongings while they chattered. All of them looked up when she entered and they stopped talking immediately.

                Dahlia felt a little embarrassed with them all staring at her. She gave the three girls an awkward, well-meaning smile.

                “Um … hi,” she said.

                One of the girls gave her a huge grin. She looked about Dahlia’s age with short brown hair tied back with a bright red bandanna. She wore a striped T-shirt over a pair of ratty blue jeans.

                “Hi!” she said brightly. “I’m Sam and these two over here are Jess and Paige.”

                Jess had dancing black curls that just reached her shoulders. She also wore blue jeans and a loose T-shirt. Paige, on the other hand, had long brown hair tied back in a loose ponytail and was dressed simply in a pair of shaggy pink shorts and a tank top. Both girls smiled rather shyly at Dahlia.

                The cabin was medium-sized with five sets of bunk beds arranged next to the walls. On the back wall was a large wardrobe where all the girls kept their clothes and belongings. Most of the bags were arranged in one of the corners.

                Sam grinned again. “Have you been to this camp before?” she asked. “I have. It’s super! The new riding stables are really cool. And the sports and activities here are really sweet.”

                Dahlia smiled. “Yeah, I have. I came here last year. It was cool. Have you two come before?”

                Jess shook her head. “No, Paige and I only joined the camp this year. Do you know that we have a treasure hunt tonight? The teams have already been announced. I’m in a team with Paige and two other guys from my school. Sam is on a team with three others from her school. Who are you with?”