One shot 1. The Boy

Start from the beginning

He also made sure her family thought she was dead too. Although it broke their hearts, it was for the sake of her and their child's safety. He wouldn't want any one of her family to have an accidental slip up and reveal that their niece or sister got knocked up by the financial magnate. If that information reached the wrong ears  he wouldn't know how to live with himself should anything happened to her and their baby.

Before she left, he made her promise to write to him, to update him on her and and their child's well being. Of course, he made her adopt a pseudonym when writing the letters in case any of the letters be read by the wrong eyes.

Finishing the letter, he read it again, and once more.

According to her letter, their son was down with the flu. She brought him to the doctor and had some medication prescribed for him. He was very well-behaved during the visit to the doctor. She wrote that he enjoyed the attention, especially the cooing and crooning of the doctor's wife, thus being a perfect angel for her during the visit. Although getting him to drink the foul-tasting medicine was a whole different story.

Referring back to the coloured sketch, he noticed that the boy's nose was slightly red from the flu.

She also mentioned that she recently brought him to visit the barber for a trim.

Unlike the visit to the doctor, the boy wailed and flailed all throughout the haircut. He hated having his hair cut. Even after his hair ordeal, the boy continued crying and crying for a while, throwing a big fit. Due to all his squirming, the barber was unable to cut his hair properly.

In no condition did the boy let the barber have an easy time cutting his hair, even with all the bribes offered. The barber tried waving candies and toys, even solid chocolate, in front of him. The boy paused his screaming at the sight of solid chocolate for a second, but continued anyway.

This brought a tiny tug to the corner of his lips as pride for his son swelled in his chest.

Indeed. That's my boy indeed.

Both of their stubbornness was compounded and then passed down to their son. This boy's stubbornness will be of a whole new level when he grows older. In fact it's already showing. The visit to the barber proved so.

He barely survives the frustration Lilly constantly  provides. This boy, this precious child, will be the death of me.

Along with the red nose, his eyes were slightly red rimmed too. His brown hair was also jaggedly cut.

This portrait was definitely sketched after the visit to the barber.

Thoughts of his son swirled around his brain. Despite all the change Lilly has brought to his life, he still thinks smiles were a waste of time. But however hard he tries, thoughts of their son always warms his frozen heart, and then his face somehow contorts against his will.

Oh how much he loves the boy. He had only seen the boy once, which was a few days after he received the news that Lilly had given birth, but that one visit was enough for the boy to capture his father's heart in his little finger. After that one time, he never visited them again, although it was very hard to stay away.

The temptation to go to them was especially hard to resist on his first birthday. As a father, he knew that sending a gift not enough, he knew he couldn't —shouldn't— miss the occasion. But he believes, and he was confident that she would agree with him in her mind, that better be a negligent father than risk having his enemies track down their son. Their son was the main priority. His well-being comes before their pride and temptations and anything and everything.