Chapter One: The Shadowed Culprit

Apart from a wall clock, dotting the silence, there was no sound to be heard in the large office. A sigh of happiness broke the dotted silence as a average sized man in a black suit and white tie leant back in his leather office chair. He stared at his blank computer monitor before picking up his office phone that was place next to the computer tower and bashed the numbers, in result the little speaker started to make high pitch ringing noises. A muffled, static noise spoke through the phone.

"I would like to organise a quick meeting with 'Squad C'," the suited man responded with a smile forming from his stubbled jaw. More quiet noise was heard from the telephone. "Yes, as soon as possible. Thank you." He returned the phone back to the way it previously was, as he eagerly waited for the meeting he organised.

The door slowly and noiselessly opened as a man in a leather jacket and a young looking women in what seemed like a uniform entered the room and occupied the seats on the opposite side of the desk. There was a silence for bit before the suited man cleared his throat.

"What threat is there now, John?" The man in the leather jacket asked the man in the suit with curiosity.

"I don't know what it is, but it is something that requires your, 'talents'" John answered turning on his monitor.

"How do you know that we are the ones for the job? Surely your other teams can handle it," The women spoke with suspicion in her voice.

"Believe me, Rachael, this isn't for the other teams," John replied turning his monitor so it face the other two in the room.

The monitor had the image of a corpse, presumed to be late twenties, a male, according to the name tag of the toe of the deceased.

"A dead guy, what about it?" Rachael inquired out of confusion.

"Look at his eyes, his shadow even," John raised an eyebrow. The other two examined the picture with more curiosity than before. His eyes were a glassy black, which in itself is odd. However, the strangest fact about the image was that there was no shadow underneath the body, even though there was a flash light illuminating the right side of the body.

"How is this even possible?" The man in the leather jacket asked in a shocked tone.

"Well, Vlad, there is only one explanation," John slid a folder to the other side of the desk, with a light push. Vlad pick up the folder that read 'CONFIDENTIAL' on the cover and opened it with caution. There was an older picture, of what looked a surgery for a young looking person with platinum blonde hair. There was a date in the bottom, right corner of the photo in yellow, generic font: 08/11/2012.

"What does something that happened a hundred years ago have to do with now?" Vlad questioned. John didn't answer, instead he opened an audio file named "Erbus, 08/11/2012".

The file starts off slightly grainy but then is clear a second later.

"Doctor Schertik; date is the eighth of November, two thousand and twelve; patient Zero Six Three, codename: Erbus. The Patient has the ability to manipulate the shadows surrounding him, which he uses for a teleporting effect, if you will. Procedure used will be the extraction of the core of the marking he has, which is his heart, may consequentially result in his death," a weak Russian voice could be heard from the small computer speakers. A few seconds of silence until screams of pure pain distorted the noise coming from the speakers.

"What the hell are they doing?" Rachael screamed out of anger. She was shushed by the other two in the room and she quietly listened to the rest of the audio track. A mechanical saw could be heard on the audio track but then it was drowned by more pain filled screams. Again, there was silence for a few seconds before footsteps could be heard approaching.