Snake

*Sorry it's been a while! I'm sorry! Things got busy and all that crap. But here it is! I've been looking forward to this chapter for quite a while! :)*

Piercing, bright green eyes stared down the smaller, hissing snake heads that replaced her hands. Hands that were once completely human. A somber hiss whistled from between her razor-sharp fangs.
Suddenly, she heard a voice call out.

"Karai?"

Karai froze. She would recognize that voice anywhere. Already, she could perfectly envision sapphire blue eyes peeking from an old, ocean blue bandana that covered a green-scaled face. She coiled herself tighter and closer into the large crevice. She did not like him seeing her like this: as a freak, as a monster, as some deformed beast. Leo's voice echoed through the walls of the sewers leading to their home lair and so did his footsteps, thus meaning he was drawing closer and closer to Karai's hiding place.
Soon enough, she saw his elongated shadow appearing on the rotunding wall. Once again he called her name.
"Karai? Where are you?"
Karai wanted to answer, but she couldn't. Something was keeping her back. That something being her snake form. She mourned for her former self, the human female she was. She missed her regular legs, her regular fingers, her soft regular hair, her regular flesh.......she could go on.
She missed being human! Leo's voice blew through her ears again, still calling her.
Karai turned around and coiled herself underneath her long, scaly tail, unable to face Leo. She felt like the biggest coward at that very moment. She hated herself. She hated being such a coward, she hated how weak she saw, she hated how she wasn't human anymore, she hated everything.
Except Leonardo. She didn't hate Leonardo. In fact, she most likely lo--

"Karai!"
Karai froze and darted up from her coils. Sure enough, there he was, crouching down and leaning into the crevice with his eyes focused on her. He smiled, much to her confusion.
Why was he smiling? Who the Hell would smile at a giant, terrifying, mutant snake woman with huge, long fangs and snakes for hands?
Overwhelmed with the emotions she was feeling from just seeing his face, Karai swiftly flew out from the crevice and slithered down the sewers as fast as light itself.
She somehow resisted turning her head around when Leo's voice cried out to her. His words had formed a knife and plunged itself as deep as it could right in her heart.

************

Fortunately for the now-cold-blooded female, it was summer, thus it was perfectly warm that night. She lied in a straight line under the short billboard sign on top of the tall building.
Her head peeked out from the billboard stand to look up at the dark blue, starry night sky. Guilt, self-loathing, anger, and misery gripped her heart with Leonardo's face popping up in her conscience here and there. Karai missed him so much, even though she had not seen him in one day, not a decade. But to her, it sure felt like it.
She felt like she could never see him again, not as long as she was in this form. She almost killed Splinter, her own father and his father as well. She spat venom into his brother's eyes. Why would he ever want to face her? If she was him, she would never want to see her. Even she couldn't forgive herself. Why did he do the opposite? How did he?
Karai looked down at her snake-headed hands again. She regretted being so ungrateful and careless over her human form. She realized that as a human, she was quite pretty. She didn't notice it before, but now she did. She remembered the times when Leo told her she was beautiful. She didn't really believe him then yet she still felt a fuzzy, warm feeling run through her when he did. She remembered how gently Leo would soothingly pet her short hair, how he would run his thick fingers along her skin and make her shutter, how he would slip his fingers through the gaps between hers and grip onto her hand, how he would kiss her human lips. God, how nostalgic she felt for those moments!
She wished she didn't take those moments for granted. She wished she didn't take her pretty, human form for granted either.
Karai's eyes shifted to the city and sighed, screwing them shut. She was sure that Leonardo wasn't looking for her anymore. It was late and it was too big a city to go wandering all over, searching for her in every nook and cranny.