Chapter Fifteen

The agony would not leave her, not until the mouse disappeared from view.

Shooting pains trickled across her spine, shocking her limbs into disorientation as pain that did not belong surged through her system. Her blood boiled furiously as a single sharp jolt crackled down her paws, electric spasms of confusion spitting from her as she writhed to keep control. But there as no blood, she saw, no crimson puddle of harm splashed delicately against the ground, the deepness a sign of sheer horror. She felt the crushing weight of agony, felt it seize her emotions in a single grasp, but nothing evident lay to prove it.

She did not enjoy this feeling.

Viperfang's scent lingered close, she could taste him in the air. Eyes burned into the back of her head and singed her privacy, but she didn't respond to the obvious watchful gaze. She knew her responses to her powers were inferior, that she was held responsible for such a callous reaction. It was simply a mouse, a play thing, a toy eaten after ones dominance had been asserted. It was not a cat, not an enemy, and it couldn't harm her. Yet she feared it. She feared what she could do to it, what warping it's mind and soul would do to her own. Viperfang would be disappointed if he knew, and he most certainly would. Her heart shrunk back.

A twig snapped, and the black spotted tom weaved his way through the security of the shrubbery into the clearing where Sagepaw stood. His eyes dulled back to green after her depiction of flames roaring from his sockets, and in them she saw a glint of satisfaction. He seemed content.

"That was rather impressive," he commented briefly, gazing at the mouse. "You've learned well."

"Impressive?" she questioned aloud, mortified. "I didn't find that impressive."

"You've still a lot to learn, Sagepaw. You hold your abilities too highly," he warned her, a back-handed compliment.

He padded further away from her, keeping his body long. "I think we need another lesson."

Sagepaw froze momentarily, a little taken aback by the proposition. "Lesson?"

He nodded briskly. "You seem to hold a sharp pair of claws, they could come in handy one day."

Not making himself clear, Viperfang readied himself for movement, shaking the nonchalance from his pelt and unsheathing his claws in a battle stance.

"Today, you learn flash possession."

His moves were hypnotic as he slunk across the clearing, pupils dilated and fixed upon her small stature. Sagepaw felt rather insecure and tucked herself in tight, a tiny demeanour for how tiny she felt. His words slurred.

"The art of quick possession, never taking your eyes away from the prize. Quick as a flash, hence the name. When in battle, you wish you could depict, identify and counter your opponents movements, am I correct?"

Sagepaw nodded, distant.

"You can, young Sagepaw. Hold your eyes close on your enemy, and just like your encounter with the mouse, you shall become them. You are free to do as you please with them, hold them still, tweak their body, anything to help you succeed. But be warned, for you only have a few moments to do this in, so you must choose your moves wisely."

Viperfang stepped forward, devious and determined. "Try it."

"On you?" Sagepaw questioned, baffled. "But I-."

"You'll be fine, you'll never know unless you simply try."

Sagepaw grumbled, tuning out of her anxious thoughts and focusing solely on Viperfang. She wanted to impress him, and to do that she'd have to conquer her fears, ignore her demons. She fixed her eyes on his, a cold stare between frostbitten blue and a swirling haze of green. Sagepaw felt her insides churn as she felt her vision begin to blur, felt her body begin to leave her soul. She felt her heart lurch, and soon she was drifting, a sharp jolt locking her into Viperfang's body.

A few moments... What am I to do?

It was as if no time had passed before her pupils shrunk and her mind flew back to where it belonged. A ringing sensation caught in her ears as she stepped back, head pounding profusely. Viperfang tutted with irritation and she shot him a scowl, prepared to try again.

"Remember, only a few moments," he reminded her, sincerity present.

Only a few moments...

Eyes locked again, she saw the flecks in his leaf eyes that brought him to life. Misery hung within those freckles of colour, she knew, and in turned her body to stone. He flinched at her pupil dilation, the surge of disappearance into his soul a quick one. She landed with claws outstretched into his mind, and this time she knew what to do.

Only a few moments...

She seized hold of his head, and in an instant moved his neck to face the opposite direction, away from the action. No sooner had she made her move, she rushed back into reality, her own vessel belonging to her again. She watched in a blur as Viperfang stood in confusion as he was met with his tail, not his opponent.

"You succeeded, well done," he praised her, purring.

He cracked his neck, stiffening. "There's still more you must learn, but we'll save that for another day, shall we?"

Sagepaw nodded, her mind exhausted.

"Well then," he began, hopping towards the shrubbery he came from. "I think we should end this meeting."

He flicked his tail and submerged into the darkness.

"See you around."

~Written by Hazel, a very short chapter for me, but that's what I like about this book~