Chapter 14

"Monsier," Darren said in a very fake French accent as he pulled out Chris' chair for him.

"Oh, what a gentleman," Chris replied, laughing.

They sat together on the restaurant's terrace. They had made reservations, and Darren had made sure that he and Chris would get to sit out on the beautiful deck. Grapevines looped around the railings beside their table, and the early summer breeze made the tiny string of lights above them sway slowly.

Once Darren and Chris had ordered their food, they started talking about their plans for the upcoming weeks. Chris was going on a miniature tour for his new book, just through California and up through Oregon.

"That'll be so much fun! I've never been to Oregon," Darren said thoughtfully.

"Why don't you come with me? You can be my traveling companion!" Chris exclaimed.

"It would be a pleasure," Darren said, slipping back into his French accent. They laughed and grabbed hands across the table.

Their food was delivered by a very excitable teenage girl, who squealed and jumped up and down as she placed their orders down on the table.

"Somebody's a Glee fan," Darren murmured as the girl left the terrace.

As they left the restaurant, the waitress gave them a huge wave and squeaked. Chris turned bright red and kept walking, while Darren smiled back and winked.

"How do you do it?" Chris asked.

"How do I do what?" Darren responded sweetly.

"How do you deal with all the fans, the interviews, everything?"

Chris said. It had always puzzled him, how Darren could be so charismatic and calm around herds of screaming fans while he himself nearly cracked under the pressure of somebody putting an interview microphone up to his face.

Darren thought for a second. "I guess I just remember that, sorry if this sounds conceited, they love me, and I might not always have people wanting my autograph or screaming when they see my on the street." He took Chris' hand and squeezed it. "Do you want to go for a walk on the beach? There's a nice place not too far away from here."

"Sure," Chris happily agreed.

They strode down the sandy shore hand in hand, shoes long forgotten and tucked away in the car. Their pants were rolled up past their ankles, and the cool California ocean lapped at their feet. They talked about stupid things, arguing on which flavor of ice cream was best or if Kurt and Blaine's wedding was going to be as cute as the engagement. They decided that it would be.

Darren liked watching Chris talk about his job. He seemed so much lighter, like he could lift off the ground and start flying as soon as they started talking acting or writing or singing. Somehow, Chris managed to make talking about himself and his work seem the opposite of self-absorbed. It was when Chris got like this, cheerful and sweet, that Darren realized how truly lucky he was to have a guy like him. It didn't matter that Chris was the first dude he had ever dated, or that he knew he had loved girls before. Chris was the love of his life.

They stopped to climb up onto a rock, Chris pulling Darren up to the top, despite his protests. The sun was slowly disappearing, and the ruby red glow was reflected on the surface of the ocean. Chris picked Darren up by his waist and they pressed their lips together. They heard a crash and felt the spray of the wave they knew had hit the rock, but it didn't matter, they kept kissing as their clothes were misted.

Chris put Darren down, and their noses touched. Darren giggled. How had he gotten Chris, beautiful, amazing, romantic, funny, gorgeous, smart, talented, wondrous Chris for himself?

"I love you," Darren said.

"I love you more," Chris replied with a little laugh.

"You take my breath away," Darren whispered. It was true. Chris' face looked absolutely astounding in the sunset's light, especially when he smiled at Darren. Every time Chris flashed that beautiful smile, Darren's insides warmed and he couldn't help but grin back.

They stepped off the rock and walked back to the car, laughing at themselves for getting soaked with sea water. As soon as they got back to the apartment, they stripped off all their clothes and put them in the bathtub to dry.

They lay in the bed, making out and cuddling naked, not having bothered to put a different set of clothes on. Darren gasped a little when Chris' hands floated below the equator, but allowed him to stroke his almost painfully hard erection.

Darren tore his lips away from Chris' long enough to breathe two words. "You ready?"

"Yeah," Chris whispered, reaching into the nightstand to pull out what they would need.

It had been a long and glorious night. Chris and Darren lay in each others' arms, gasping for breath.

"How did I do?" Darren said in a low whisper, "I've never... you know... done it with a guy before, so..."

"Me neither," Chris replied before he realized what he was saying. He expected himself to be embarrassed that he had just revealed to Darren that he had been a virgin until tonight, but for some reason, he wasn't.

"You never... what about Andy? You guys never..." Darren said, a tiny bit puzzled. How had a guy as sexy as Chris never done it before?

"He just wasn't the one," Chris shrugged. Darren smiled a little and nodded. "You want to know a secret?"

"Sure," Darren said.

"I kind of only dated Andy to maybe try and sort of make you jealous," Chris spilled before he could stop himself.

Darren nuzzled Chris' shoulder. "Do you want to know a secret? It worked." Chris' mouth dropped open and his heart jumped up and down in his chest. "I couldn't stand the guy. I mean, he was nice and all, but whenever he would kiss you, I thought about how it would be if it was me. I thought I was being stupid, because I had had the whole figuring-out-my-sexuality talk with myself a long time ago and had come to the conclusion that I only liked girls. But I was wrong. I like people. The gender doesn't matter for me. And I love you."

Chris was overjoyed. "You're amazing," he said, kissing Darren's forehead, "And I love you too."