Chapter 1

In a sea of blood soaked dreams; no matter how hard I struggle, I always seem to drown. As this thought rippled within Alex's mind the world around her seemed to twist and turn until it faded into something new. Now trapped within this dream she tried to understand where she is and how she even got there. With outstretched arms Alex moved forward trying to find her way through the suffocating darkness. The air was stale lacking even the faintest of sounds and with darkness so thick that Alex couldn't see her own hands; all she could rely on was her sense of touch. After a moment of walking through the dark void and bumping into what possibly could have been a tree or two, the darkness gave way to the illuminating power of the midnight stars. Slowly regaining her sight, the silhouette of trees and bushes filled her vision. She didn't remember venturing into a forest, but the world that surrounded her had a sense of familiarly. However, with eerie silence filling the air the tiniest bit of dread crept its way into her heart. This is very, very bad, panic setting into Alex's mind. I need to get out of here, now! Forcing her way through the forest at break neck speed, every ounce of Alex's being is screaming "run", but why? What is she running from? What could be out there? Even though Alex didn't understand what was happening she didn't dare stop. That is until the silence, that dammed stillness that plagued the air ever since Alex first arrived to this world was broken.

A Bloodied scream filled the air sending a shivers down Alex's spine. Though once moving effortlessly through the forest she slowed to a stop as a heavy weight bore down on her. Another scream echoed through the air to her front, her back, left, and right. It seemed to surround her. Was it her own? It was too hard to tell and with it getting louder and louder thinking was an impossible task. Slowly the screams died off, however the silence did not return as something new had arrived. A painful moan rattled Alex's mind and as it seemed to inch closer and for some reason it terrified her. Alex needed to move. She wanted to, but her body was petrified. The only movement she could achieve was terrified tremors. Why won't my body move!? Please! I need to... After pleading so desperately with her body, it began to take a single step forward before it collapsed under the weight of her fear. Now face first on the ground Alex remained motionless. Even while unable to move she was thankful that the forest floor had rather tall grass. Now, completely camouflaged, Alex waited for her enemy for what felt like an eternity. What it could have been was impossible to tell from her view, but the scent of a decaying animal embraced her. The stench of pus covered mold was so strong that Alex gagged, tasting the sting of her stomach acid as she tried not to vomit. The creature shambled closer dragging what she could only assume to be its legs across the ground before letting out a deep piercing moan. One after another more unseen creatures joined in the howl forming a moaning chorus of death. What is that sound!? My head is going to explode! Terrified Alex curled up and opened her mouth to let out a pained wail, but the sound of the creatures seemed to have wash any trace of her voice away. After a brief moment, each creature dropped from the group as fast as they had joined and allowing silence to reclaim the space.

The unseen creatures had movedon to another destination, but this one was very interested in the hushed criesemitting from the grass. Hearing the creature close in Alex tried to stifle hercries, but it was too late as it was upon her now. Suddenly, the world fadedaway leaving nothing and no one except Alex and the monster that stood beforeher. The creature that loomed over Alex didn't attack, but merely leaned downbringing its face close to hers. Alex's eyes widened and lips quivered as shewas face to face with the mysterious being. Unable to form words, all Alexcould muster was the sound of her hastened breath. On one side it seemed to bea young woman. She had frizzy brown hair that went down to her shoulders aswell as fairly pale skin. Her best feature had to be her hazel brown eye. Itradiated a sense of endless comfort. On the other side of her, was true terror.The woman's hair appeared in only a few patches as if someone had been rippingthem out one strand at a time. Her fair skin aged for years leaving it driedand cracked, but the worst part was her eye. At a glance it seemed to have beentaken, but on closer inspection it was indeed still there. The warm richnessthat lied within her right eye was lacking heavily in her left. It wasshriveled up as if it were baking in the sun for years. However, it hadsharpness to it like predator stalking its prey. Then, the creature did theunexpected. It spoke. It spoke with a tenderness of a loving mother speaking toher child. With a voice so soft and gentle she made sure to get her intentionsacross with one word. "Meat,"