So, he waited. Another month went by and you seemed to see Sonny every other weekend, and that was slowly eating away at Nick. He hardly talked to you anymore, at work or outside of it, and you couldn't figure out why. So one night, you brought it up.

"Nick, why won't you talk to me?" Your voice wavered, looking at his back that was turned to you. You'd never expected or experienced this kind of behavior from Nick, and it was odd for you.

What you didn't know was that Nick hardly realized what he was doing, until you had said something. His heart had broken at the sound of your voice cracking, but it also made him angry that he had expected you to talk to him, since, by now, he was almost positive you were cheating.

"Maybe I just don't want to talk to you." He sighed and set his phone down, finally turning to face you with his arms crossed over his chest.

He had no idea how much that broke you. You saw this conversation spiralling downward but you were too stubborn to let him win this.

"Well maybe I don't want you around me." Your teeth gritted together and you stood, challenging him with your eyes.

And then he crumbed himself. You two were creating a mess, but you both felt so betrayed neither of you would be able to catch it. you just stared each other down, waiting for the other to spit a venomous comeback.

"Well maybe I'll leave then." He slipped his phone in his pocket and waiting for you to say something, but you were speechless for a moment. He wouldn't leave you, he loved you, and it slipped from your mouth before you wanted it to.

"Maybe I don't think you will!" You stepped closer to him, feeling your chest getting heavier, suddenly terrified that he would, but your emotions were too slow compared to your words. He was gone with a slam of the door before you could blink.

And when you finally did blink, you felt tears rising to your eyes. Nick was gone, and you weren't even 100% sure why, and you didn't think you'd ever find out.

...

On the other side of the door, Nick felt a weight crushing his chest as well. He was truly surprised he actually walked out the door, and he found himself at a crossroads. He had to decide between losing his pride by walking back inside and begging for forgiveness on his knees, or he would lose you.

In that moment, he chose his pride, which might have been what hurt you the most.

...

A whole week. That's how long it took Nick to come back. How long it took him to wonder what would happen if he didn't, and if you would forgive him if he did. A whole week to figure out how to make it up to you. A whole week to realize he would never have an answer, and that he needed to take his chances if he really wanted you back.

So when he found himself walking into your apartment, seeing you walking out of your bedroom with a gun pointed at him and a terrified look on your tear-stained face, he broke. He couldn't imagine what was going through your mind at that moment, but he knew it was his fault, leaving him with a guilty feeling in the pit of his stomach.

He held his hands up and walked towards you slowly, sympathy filling his eyes as you shook, your death-grip on the gun never lifting. "Belleza, please, give me the gun." He reached his hands out for it, before hearing you whimper, letting them fall back to their previous position by his head. He wasn't sure if he should be scared for his life or yours.

He saw fresh tears begin to run down your cheeks again, reaching out and gripping the gun, sliding it out of your fingers and watching you collapse. He slid the gun far away from the two of you, before dropping by you on his knees. "I'm so sorry.." He scooted you into his arms and held you tightly, letting you sob.

Your sobs eventually slowed to hiccups, as you shook in Nick's arms. "Why did this happen?" The question had been wracking your mind all week. You chanted it multiple times, more to yourself than to him. Even if it wasn't to yourself, Nick wasn't sure f he could answer it just yet. The last thing he wanted to do was ask if you were cheating on him, especially now that he had been having doubts. He decided that he would hold you until you cried all you could cry, and he'd deal with it later.

...

Another three days had gone by with the two of you barely talking, but trying to piece everything back together. You had still forgotten the most important question, and Nick hadn't reminded you, and didn't plan on it either.

You walked into the kitchen where he was cooking, which he had done every night since he'd been back. You leaned into him and kissed his chest. "Hey, Nick." Your voice was quiet and you expected something back from him, but you were instead met with sad eyes.

"What's wrong now?" You started to panic, you had just begun to think that things were going back to normal.

"You don't wanna know why I was so angry?" He'd been trying to tell you, but couldn't find the right time.  His hands gripped yours, trying to shake the life that had left back into you.

"I-I didn't want to start another fight.." You looked down at where your hands met. "Does it really matter anyway...?" You looked up at him, pressing your face into his chest, almost sickening him. He had thought such a horrible thing and you didn't even know it. He didn't deserve your love right now.

He pushed you away and looked down at your dead eyes, with his sad ones. "Yes it does. I.. I thought you were cheating on me, and you just needed a friend. A-And I ignored you, my wife. That isn't fair." He ran a soft hand through your hair, watching you lean away from it.

Your hands reached up and took his face in them, moving it downward to meet yours. "Nick, it's okay. I get it, alright? But I want you to know that I couldn't ever do that to you. I wouldn't, and you do know that. Deep down somewhere, you knew that the whole time." You reached up on your toes and pressed a soft kiss to his lips, wrapping your arms around him and feeling him shake with tears he hadn't shed in years.

"I love you, Nick." You whispered, kissing his cheek and laughing a little. "You know that, right?"

He nodded at you. "I love you, belleza."