ORIGIN OF AFRICAN HISTORY SINCE 1800

SOURCES OF AFRICAN HISTORY SINCE 1800

The writing of African history involves collection of historical facts and interpreting them logically so as to develop a clear account of events that took place in Africa in the past. For this purpose historians have to employ various sources in order to gather information on African history.

1.1. ARCHAEOLOGY

Archeology is the study of men’s material objects and remains of plants and animals so as to get information about the past. Material remains left by man are called artifacts.  They may include spears, knives, ports, beads, paintings, coins, buildings among others and they constitute material culture. The study of artefacts helps historians learn about the material culture of African communities in the past. They also study remains of plants and skeletons of the man and the animals also known as fossils. Archeologists can tell the appearance of the people for example height or size by looking at the skeletons. The study of fossils can also help determine the type of animals kept.

Archeologists obtain information by digging up fossils. Such areas are called archeological sites. Some sites may be discovered by people as they go about their work, for example digging. Examples of archeological sites, in East Africa include Sango Bay in Uganda, Olduvai in Tanzania and others.

Historians can also study old buildings or artefacts and fossils which are not buried in the ground. For example the ruins of Zimbabwe, the Gao ruins in Mali and the Kilwa ruins in Tanzania. The studying of ruins can help get information on economic activities, religious beliefs, burial customs and artefacts or fossils. Archeologists follow the principle that deeper layers are older than those on top.

To establish the dates or chronology of historical events fossils and artefacts are tested using radio carbon dating or carbon 14. This can be tested to determine when a human being or animal died.

Why archeology is an important source of history

-Archeology has been used to reconstruct the history of African communities which had no writing skills or acquired literacy very late; for example, the Khoisan in South Africa.

-Archeology has helped historians establish when the evolution of man took place.

-It has helped provide historical information on communities whose records were destroyed for example in North-West Africa where Vandals attacked communities and destroyed records.

- It has helped prove that Africa had her own history before the coming of Europeans.

Problems encountered in collecting archeological information:

- It is very expensive to carry out and it is impossible to dig up every part of Africa.

As a result some historical information cannot be obtained.

-It is very difficult to locate historical sites. As a result the few excavated sites have been used to provide information about other communities where there are no excavations. Such information may be misleading.