“OK, now you are just being silly. You do realize that if I didn’t want you to come and spend time with us, I wouldn’t have called you at all, right?”

“Yea, I guess you are right.”

“So I’ll see you around eleven Nicky.”

“OK, got to go.”

“Hey, don't be in such a rush, since you have already completed most of your chores. Jane will call you in ten or twenty minutes for directions.”

“Oh. Could you give me her number to call her when I get back from the super market? I have to go right away to have the cake ready by eleven.”

“Cupcake you don't have to bring anything with you. There‘ll be plenty, enough to feed an army.”

“No, no I want to make it. Give me her number quick. I am losing time arguing right now. And I don't want to be late.” Mike complied recognizing a stubborn streak he hadn't seen in her before. It fit her perfectly and it was a side of her personality that explained how she had managed to survive all the hardships she had to deal up to now in her life and still developed to a kind and caring person.

After she hung up the phone, Nicky practically ran to the supermarket and bought what she needed for the house and the ingredients for the cake. As soon as she got home, she started preparing the cake and while spooning the dough, she called Jane.

“Hello Jane, my name is Nicky. Mike has probably told you I'll be joining you today on your day together.”

“Yes hello Nicky, I was calling you ten minutes ago to make plans about me coming to get you. I'll be needing some directions to your house. My brother in law is no help at all at things like that. Even if you gave him a detailed description of the names of the roads and directions for us to come there, we would probably turn out to ride towards the next town instead of your house.” Nicky laughed kind heartedly.

“Come on don't be too harsh on him. It is not his fault he can't see and recognize the roads.”

“Oh I don't expect him to see anything. And the problems never arise because he can't see. He just never pays attention to directions like that. You might talk and talk to him and then realize that he is actually thinking how nice your voice sounds and if his next heroine should have a voice like that, or if she should express herself the way you did and so on. It can be quiet irritating finding yourself talking for sometime only to realize that you have to repeat all of it all over again.” Nicky laughed at her assertion of Mike. He never seemed to miss a word she said, but Jane knew him practically all her life, so what she said had to be sure. No matter her whining right then she could hear in her voice that she really loved Mike. That was a good thing because he really was a nice person. If only she had a family that loved her too.

“I am sure he cannot be that bad.” She replied.

“Trust me he is. Now give me your address and some directions. Sorry I can't stay long on the phone but the girls are suspiciously soundless at their room and that usually seems that they are up to no good.” Nicky grinned and swiftly gave her the directions. After the call ended she resumed baking her cake. While it was in the oven, she grabbed a quick shower and went to her room to get dressed. She opened her closet, and she searched for the most appropriate and fashionable clothes she had. With dread she once more realized nothing seemed to fit the occasion. With her previous enthusiasm for the day deflated, she chose her less worn clothes and returned to her oven. She was not going to make a positive impression with her appearance, she hoped she would at least please them with her cooking.

A quarter to eleven, everything was ready and she was expecting for Jane to ring her bell. At exactly eleven o clock her upper doorbell rang. Nicky went to answer the door wondering if it was some neighbor. She really didn't want to deal with any of them now. She didn't want to be late when Mike was there. She was supposed to go down when they rang her down bell. She looked through the door hole and saw Mike. Why had he come up? Was there something wrong? Some last minute change of plans? And how had he come up without ringing the down bell first? All those questions passed from her mind instantly. But there was no time to ponder on them. It was rude to keep him waiting.

“Mike why did you get up here? How did you get up here? Is there something wrong? Is there a change in plans?”

“Whoa whoa, hold on there! Not all the questions at once. Everything is OK and going according to plan, you don't have to worry about it. I just came up to get you in person because it is the polite thing to do. That's all. Are you ready?”

“Yes, just let me get the cake and I'll be right with you.”

“Do you want any help with it?”

“We will need some help eating it, but I think that can wait for later on.” She said laughing and he smirked at her. He was so handsome smirking like that, that Nicky was left staring at him. After a few seconds she realized she hadn't moved and run to the kitchen. She quickly got the cake and run back to Mike. He was standing next to her couch.

“Oh I am sorry I didn't offer you to sit but I thought Jane would be waiting downstairs and I didn't want to delay her even more.”

“Hey don't worry, are you ready to go?”

“Yes let's go.” She took his arm, liking once more the feel of his sturdy arm under hers. That was one of her favorite times of the day, when he came at the cafe and she took him by his arm to guide him to his table. As they left her apartment and moved to the elevator she asked him.

“You didn't tell me how you got in and how you knew where my apartment was.”

“Oh I met one of your neighbors downstairs that let me in. I might have lied a little bit and told her that I was your boyfriend, and she seemed delighted by it. She said she knew and had spent some time with your grandmother and that at last you had brought one of your beaus to your place.” He felt her stiffen beside him. “Hey that was her words not mine, I don't consider myself a beau.”

“She is the apartment block's gossip. Nothing seems to escape her.” Nicky said irritated.

“I hope you are not mad about the lie I said.”

“No, it's OK, I just hate that she is so nosy.”

“Yea I can relate to that, Jane is pretty nosy to. You’ll find that out in a little bit.” They were on the street already. “we are the black station wagon with the two hellions on the back.” Nicky saw the car immediately and she couldn't help but grin at the two girls that were strapped on the back seat on their special seats gesturing like crazy to them. They moved towards them and Jane got out of the car to greet them.

“Hello there I am Jane, you must be Nicky, I’m happy to meet you, Mike here speaks very fondly of you.” Nicky blushed a little.

“It is really nice to meet you too. I hope it was not too much of an inconvenience you coming here.”

“Nonsense, it isn't worth mentioning it. Come get in to the car.” With that she took Mike’s arm and guided him to the back seat. Nicky protested to that.

“No no sit in the front, I’ll sit in the back, you’ll get cramped up there.” Jane refused to accept that.

“Kids always sit in the back, don't they girls?”

“YES” the twins yelled and Mike grinned.

“But Mike is an adult.” Nicky looked at them incredulously.

“What in the world gave you that idea” Jane laughed at that and closed the door after Mike was all set up on the back seat. “Come on get in” She urged Nicky and she obeyed soundlessly.

“Girls this is Nicky.” Jane introduced her to the twins. “Nicky these are Rose and Lily, my adorable little devils. Rose is the one in red and Lily the one in pink.” Nicky turn around to greet them, but before she had the chance to say something Rose spoke.

“Nicky are you uncle Mike's lover?”

=============================================================

hope you liked this chapter as well!!!!!!!

kisses to you all!!!
XXX