chapter 14

hello

sorry for being late... again

so here is the next chapter

hope you like it

=========================================================================

edited by OhhPapiHarder

___________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 14

As soon as they all entered the house, the girls took their uncle to the kitchen screaming “cook cook cook cook”. Nicky was really amused by their antics and couldn't help but laugh at them. Mike seemed oblivious to everything else except from them. He seemed to be giving them his undivided attention. She really liked this side of him. With her all she could think of was how admirable and charming he was, with them he was a child himself devoted to the welfare and happiness of the two little children. He was going to be a wonderful father. That thought made her feel longing deep inside. Why, she had no idea. It was not as if there was a chance that he was going to like her enough to make her his girlfriend let alone the mother of his children. She was no more than a silly poor waitress after all. She had to keep in mind that she was there because he obviously pitted her, and not let funny ideas get into her mind. Sad thing was, those ideas were already there and she would have to uproot them fast, before she risked getting herself irrevocably hurt.

Lost in her thoughts, Nicky didn't realize she was standing in front of the door of the kitchen actually blocking Jane from entering. Now Jane was next to her, waiting patiently to pass and from the way she was looking at her, she probably had asked her something and she had totally missed it.

“I’m sorry I’m blocking your way.” She said blushing a little bit.

“No you are not. Don't worry. I was just asking you if you want me to fix you some coffee or something else.”

“No thank you I am fine. You are doing too much for me as it is.”

“Nonsense. We were glad to have you with us. It has been a long time since Mike has brought a girl for us to meet.”

“I told you, we are just friends, nothing else.”

“I heard you don't worry. Even like that it is nice that he is meeting new people. He has been a little bit closed to himself the last years. I think it is because he is too wrapped up in his writing. Sometimes it is like he leaves in the world his heroes do. That is why we always insist that he comes to our gatherings. So that he gets out of his house once in a while.”

“He comes to the cafe everyday.” Nicky tried to defend him.

“Yea I know but that is work related, it doesn't count.”

“Well your gatherings seem to make him a world of good. He is great with the twins from what I can see.”

“Those hellions? They have him wrapped up around their little fingers. He is putty in their hands. He can't deny them anything and is spoiling them rotten.” Jane said shaking her head. “He fell in love with them from the first moment at the hospital. He couldn't see them of course, but when we placed each one in his arms he said he loved the way they felt. He cooed at them and started telling them stories. Funny thing is that even though they were just minutes old the girls looked at his way and listened to him enchanted. They never cried whenever he was telling them a story.”

“Well that doesn't seem to have changed. They still hang from his lips when he tells them stories.”

“That is the ultimate truth of course, but you can't imagine how incredible it was when they were little babies. Whenever the girls were fussy and crying because their tummy hurt or they were sick or no one knew what the matter was with them, I would call him and ask him to come by and tell them a story. I tell you it always worked. After the first five or six times I called him on the row, my husband was tired of coming and going to his house bringing him here, and he put a study in the guest room and asked him to live with us for a while until the girls were a little more bigger. Well he ended up staying for a year.”