Chapter 2

Gale Hawthorne slammed his bow down on the table in the practise room. He jogged towards the automatic doors. He had to have air. As much as he loved his job, he had to escape, just for a while. And he really did enjoy his job, it was now the final and only reason that he was in District 2. He had started off as a soilder fighiting in District 13. But he had been young then, stupid. But could you blame him really? If a poor woodland boy, after years of dreaming, hopping to have some real weapons, after years of making the best with stupid wooden ones. Then he gets giving knifes that wearnt blunt, state of the art bows, arrows, real working guns, and he was being praised for his skills that he had relyed on for so long. But, he never meant to kill anybody, well anyone that he new anyway. But he had payed the price. He lost Katniss.

He often wondered if it was worth it. At the time it was beautifully perfect, he was getting to destroy the Capitol, The Capitol that had been a burning fire of anger within his heart his entire life. But was it really worth it? DOWN WITH THE CAPITOL! more like sown with District 12. But he had saved them, his family where alive. They were now living happily (well he hopped so anyway) in District 13. His beloved little Posy all grown up with a family of her own. 

He wondered what Prim would have been like. She would have been an excellent mother. A beautiful blonde with helpfull, happy children. Gale liked to imagine that Prim would have given her children  traditional seam names, something naturey. Maybe something like, Willow, Brooke. Or maybe Jay for a boy. Mockingjay. A symbol of hope. A symbol of change. A symbol of power. A symbol of Katniss. 

Katniss. A name that sparked so many memorys. He often wondered what her children where like, what where there names? Nobody new. You saw them on the TV often, but there names where always hidden for "Confidential Reasons." 

As he took a sip of his sweet tea from his mug, he had a sudden thought, of a day, long, long ago in District 12. He had been talking to Katniss.....

It was the day of the reaping, the year she got picked. He rembered trading a squirrel for a small, but warm loaf of bread. Gale and Katniss ate it slowley, savoring every mouthfull. Gale looked up and saw the troubled look in the girls eyes, it wasnt something he saw often. He knew he had to make her laugh, smile, anything, because then he would laugh with her. He couldnt show her his nerves, his worry, he couldnt crack, he had to be strong. He mimicked the thick capitol accent of Effie Trinket, the OTT, extravigant women, in pink that appeared in the town sqaure every year to read out the names of the unfortunate tributes. "I almost forgot" he says already smiling. 

"Happy Hunger games!"

He plucked a few berrys from the tree surronding there hidding spot.

"And may the odds -" he sent the berrys flying toward her.....

"be ever in your favour!" she finishes catching the berrys between her teeth. They sat there for a while longer in a comfortable, thinking, silence. 

"We could do it, you know." he says quietly.

"Do what?"

"leave the district, run off. Live in the woods. you and me, we could make it."

She turned to face him. She looked angry. 

"We could, if we didnt have any kids." he added hastily not wanting to worry anyone. Especially today.

They wearnt there kids, oviousley. He was refering to his little brothers and sister. And Prim, you might as well chuck there mothers in there too. Everybody depended on them then. How would they live without them? After a moments silence, the girl suddenly comes out with a rarther random comment. 

"Im never going to have kids." she states. States not says. It wasnt a question it was a fact, she was determined.

..................Or at least she was. How that terrified stubborn woodland girl had changed. 

"General Hawthorne, needed for an emergency meeting." A lod voice echoes thre the building loud speaker. 

"I repeat, your needed General Hawthorne."

Gale sighed. Angry, for being so ruthlessley dragged out of his daydream. But he put his helmet on anyways and tried not to stomp his way back into the building. He smiled an arrogant smile, General Hawthorne, he was never quiet going to get used to that!  He was needed, he puched the thought of Katniss and her children out of his mind. He didnt have to concern himself over them. They where nothing to him, he would never even meet them.

 If only he knew how wrong he was....