Chapter Two

Hermione Granger

I wake up to Ron's body pushed up against mine, radiating heat. He must have rolled over in his sleep, and he wakes up when I gently push him off. "Morning, 'Mione," he says.

"Good morning." But the way I say it, you could tell that I didn't think it was a very good morning at all.

It was Monday.

For Ron, that meant supervising the joke shop with George and playing with the kids. For me, that meant work, work, and more work.

I climb out of bed, Ron turning over and going back to sleep. I make my way to the wardrobe and change into my normal work clothes, which consists of a black tunic and knee-length skirt. Ron normally prefers I wear something shorter, but I always argue that it's not appropriate for a work environment.

Once I have brushed my teeth and hair, I head downstairs-

-and see Rose and Hugo waiting expectantly at the table.

As soon as he sees me, Hugo leaps up out of his seat and shoots toward me like a rocket, flying into my arms. I kiss him on top of his head. "Mum, can you fix me breakfast?" he asks.

"No, sweetheart, I have to go to work. What are you doing up so early?" I walk over to Rose and give her a kiss on the cheek.

Hugo pouts. "I'm up because I thought you could fix me breakfast."

"Oh, get that look off your face. Your father will fix you breakfast." I pat him on the cheek and pick up my briefcase from the floor by the door. "You two behave, now, alright? Rose, look after your brother while Ron's gone."

Rose nods, but Hugo whines, "Why is she always in charge? I'm eleven, not a baby!"

"But you certainly sound like one," Rose retorts. She can be quiet sometimes, but inside, that sharp mind is always working at its best.

"Be nice," I say, although I'm laughing inside. "I love you both!" I call over my shoulder.

Outside, the sky is cloudy and the streets are dark. We live in a Muggle community, so I have to climb in the black car in the driveway and get to work slower.

Once I make it downtown, the streets are more crowded, with cars and wizards, all making their way to work. I pull into the small lot for Muggle cars outside of the Ministry and enter.

We're all out of Floo powder, so I have to go in through the lavatory. Believe me, I don't enjoy it, but it is quick and keeps the Muggles out. Who would think to flush themselves down a toilet?

Inside, I have to slip in between groups of wizards and witches, waving hello to some familiar faces. I see a flash of blond hair in one of the fireplaces and stop walking.

It's Draco Malfoy.

We did have a history, but it doesn't feel long enough to actually call it a 'history'. I feel guilty that Ron doesn't know about it, but since Draco and I were never officially together, it doesn't feel necessary.

Especially now that Ron and I are married.

And have children.

As Draco makes his way through the crowd, I continue to my office, keeping my head down. Every time I think about our kiss, his lips on mine-

"Mrs. Granger-Weasley!" someone calls out. "Would you mind doing an interview for the Daily Prophet?"

I can't tell who it was, but I yell in the general vicinity of the voice, "I'm sorry! I have to get to my office!"

"Very well," they say.

Once there, I close the door and lock it. I'm too tired to be interrupted today.

From my seat at the desk, I look at the pictures on top of my bookshelf. They're all of myself with Ron: at the beach with the kids; when we were still teenagers; at our wedding, me laughing from his arms.

Those were the days.

Now, it feels like everything between us is strained. I don't doubt it for a second that Ron's still deeply in love with me, but I just don't know how I still feel.

A couple weeks ago, he started to treat me like I was just a toy to be played with and then left, broken, on the floor. He left me to work while he joked around with George and caught up with his family members. He would tell me what to wear and to put on makeup and pretty much to be who I'm not.

And I can't live with that.

Slamming my fists down on the table, I shove the chair back and stand up. Marching from the office, I make my way down to the hall lined with fireplaces and step into one. When I step out, I'm back in the house.

"Mum!" Hugo comes rushing over. "Dad's still not up. Can you fix me breakfast now?"

"What are you doing back so early?" Rose asks, following suit.

I look at my children, wondering what to do. How do I tell them that I don't love their father anymore?

I think the first step is telling Ron himself.

So I give them a quick "I'll tell you later" and race up the stairs to the bedroom, shaking Ron awake.

The first thing he says to me when he sits up is, "Really? That's what you're wearing?"

I smack him on the arm. "Ronald Weasley!"

"I thought I was Ron Granger-Weasley," he says with a cocky grin.

"Not anymore," I blurt. "I think we should get a divorce."

The seconds tick by, marked with silence and the sounds of the clock on the wall.

"What?" Ron asks.

"You heard me."

"What about the kids?" he asks.

"I don't know. But we'll figure it out, won't we?"

"But, Hermione, I don't understand. Why are you divorcing me?"

And so I tell him.

Once I'm done, he says only this: "Wow."

I roll my eyes.