Chapter 4 || Over My Dead Body

Start from the beginning

One of the guards I recognize as, Portius, the King's most trusted guard. What could he possibly want at this hour? Unless he's in trouble. "We are here by order of the King. We seek Ember McNeill. She is under arrest," Portius orders, pointing his finger as though sealing my fate. I guess that day is now. 

"On what grounds?" I ask, standing up straight and narrowing my eyes at the man behind him, as though challenging them to take a step forward and complete the act of my arrest. I see one falter slightly but pull his shoulders back as though remembering he's the one with the sword. 

"The King does not require reasons when you are being taken to be tried," Protius continues, looking utterly bored with the situation. Portius is one of the older guards and doesn't usually act on the King's bidding, so this must just annoy him, but he is loyal to his King, so does as he is asked. Just as I would if I were ever given the chance to be a Knight, but even thinking such things could be considered treason. I respect Portius, but that doesn't mean I have to obey him. 

"Over my dead body," I glare, crossing my arms in protest. I'm itching to grab the dagger in my boots. My sword is under my mattress too far for me to retrieve it. Unless, I can get the one to the right, who has been waiting to prove himself since he entered my house.  Perhaps it would distract the other long enough to- Before I could give it much more thought, Ferbius words finally reach me.

"Ember, go with the guards," He states slowly, taking hold of my shoulders to add more force to his words. My gaze meets his and I see the urgency in his eyes. "I will figure something out, my dear. Please just go peacefully and cause no troubles." He knows I have never been able to put the idea of fighting out my head, no matter how hard he has tried to put the wonders of knowledge an medicine. My father's blood still flows through my veins, and it calls to me like the sky calls the birds home. He knows I want nothing more than to engage these men.

I let out a frustrated sigh, and release my defensive stands. Ferbius's gentle hands leave my shoulders and I am at once being dragged out of my home. I would have caused in trouble as Ferbius asked if I were only allowed to walk. So, I intend to wake everyone in the whole bloody kingdom! "Get your hands off me! I can walk on my own two! You're kidnapping!" Soon I am inside the castle walls. A place I have never truly seen before. It is breathtaking and completely maddening. If I were here under different circumstances, I would be a little elated to keep my hands to myself. I would be roaming and gazing at each crevice, but instead, I'm here as an innocent criminal.

Soon we enter the throne room, and sitting on the royal throne is the King himself. I've seen the King before, but never this close. His authority, even seated, is unnerving. It is no wonder we haven't seen a war since his reign. Who would be foolish enough to go against a man, who can inflict fear with just a gaze? The King stares down at me, his blues eyes seem to see into my very soul, and suddenly I am vulnerable. I am released and quickly curtsy, and bow my head down low out of respect, although, at this very moment, I have none for him. "Do you know why you are here?" The King addresses me directly, and I try to muster up all the courage I have to keep my wits about me. I let out a steady calming breath as Ferbius taught me.

Standing up straight, I shrug casually, "I'm sorry, your majesty, but I can't say I do."

"You disrespected the soon to be Queen of the Irles, and for that, you shall be made an example of," he stated, slowly. And that's when I realize I am here on grounds of treason because of that over pampered prat. The King is conversing with me about my life as though it weren't being dangled by a string for him to cut at any moment.  

"Wait, I didn't do anything wrong," I call to him, frustration getting the better of me. Ferbius told me to be peaceful, but I don't handle acts of injust well. Never have, so any thoughts of calmly breathing my way out of this have just blown up in smoke.