Ch.2 ::Fuck::

I cradled the coffee cup in my hands as I stumbled my way to the kitchen table

I cradled the coffee cup in my hands as I stumbled my way to the kitchen table. Sleep blurring my eyesight as I let the chilly air wake me up with tingles. My glasses fog up slightly as I cup my hands around the coffee and inhale deeply. Mmmm. Nectar of the gods. Glancing through the doorway I could make out my sister crashed out on the couch. Her blonde hair spilling around her and the cat mask dangling from the edge of the sofa arm. I pulled my legs up and clicked through my phone. Emails on new orders for security at Arkham. I tossed my phone to the side and lit my smoke. Trying desperately to feel awake enough to handle the day. I shrugged my jeans and work shirt on before slipping my sock clad feet into the worn winter boots.

"Lena..." I nudged my sister softly. She groaned before opening one light blue eye at me. I watched fascinated as it flashed yellow. "I'm headin to work. Need me to grab anything on the way home?"

She stretched out. Purring.

"Milk. Milk please." and she fell back into the pillows. I chuckled,laying another hand knitted blanket over her and walked to the door. Grabbing the keys to my oh so boring 2003 Hyundai Elantra and placing the beanie on my hair. Gotham isn't too bad. If you can get past the piss and smoke.
Within thirty minutes I've made it to Arkham. Pulling my I.D. and files out from the back seat I make myself to the door.

"Frankie my man! How's Aileen?" I question as he checks me in.

"Kris. You know I ain't ever married. Why you always ask in questions about girls?" He chuckled out and grabs another powdered donut from his box.

"Sometimes we just gotta be creative and hope for the best." I Laugh out in reply and make my way to my office. Shuffling the folders around and double checking to make sure I had signed off on the programs.Updating notes and the physicals that had taken place yesterday. 

Damn being a psychiatrist was tough work, But it Definitely helped with my side job.

I blew on my coffee and started sipping. Fingers fumbling with the vape. I should have had that last smoke while I had time.

The door opens and the ever monotonous Miss Peabody walks in. A ragged folder in her mocha hands. She strides over and pops. It down on my desk with a hallow think sound.

"Well now its your lucky day Miss Fields. You have been assigned a new patient to fill the empty slot Miss May left you." she stares at me though her specs and watches me intensely as I finger through it.

"Joker huh. Haven't we given up on him already? Lord knows he's had enough therapy. Might be time to count the eggs with this chicken." I joke. She doesn't laugh. Go figure. "Alrighty then. Ill see to him shortly." I tell her before waving her off.

She leaves with her usual pompous glare.

Huh. The Joker. This should be fun.

A few hours and some patients later,I'm on my way to the man himself. Mentally I'm just screaming Fuck. Theres a tiny me perched on my shoulder whispering how horribly wrong this could go. He knows me and could blow my cover. There's no trust seeing as we only met the other night. I did not go to school for as long as I did to have it blown by someone who would think that was a punch line.

I adjust the ridiculous white doctor jacket and fix my name tag. I smile at the four guards outside the door. Sharing some high fives and side hugs as they bestow me with generous smiles.

"Yo my buds. How's it been today?"

"Gotchya a crazy crazy one today Kristen. You sure you won't break your rule and let at least one of us in today?" The tall on to the left of me asks.

"Awwwww. Thanks for looking out bud. But I need him to talk. Not act like a caged animal. Granted he is but still..." I snort and push my glasses back up my nose. They all laugh with me and swipe a card in front of the tiny mechanism. A thick club co sound and the doors unlocked.

"See ya in like..45?" I ask. They nod and salute me as I walk in.

"Hello Joker. I'm.."

"Get away girl!" He chuckled out. Stretching his long neck in my direction as the straight jacket holds him down.

"My name is Kristen Feilds and I am your brand spanking new question asking Doctor  and such. Blah blah blah. You know the story. I'm not gonna bore you."

He looked at me grinning then started to laugh.

"Ooohhh..  You are fun!"

"I try anyways." I shoot a wink at him. "So! Questions. I need to at least ask. Its up to you if you wanna answer." I inform him. He nods. That loopy grin forms on his lips.

"Do you wear lipstick?!" I blurt out quickly.

"No way doll. I'm ALLL natural." He says to me. I nod jotting it down.

"What about you baby doll? That your natural color?" I frown thinking back to this morning. Did I even out on make up? "Your lips are like..peaches." he says on a sigh. Face right back down on the table as he struggles to keep his eyes open.

I snort out a laugh and cover my mouth.
"That soooo didn't happen." I say in a mock warning. He shrugs the best he can given the constraints.  "But yeah. As you said...I'm ALL natural."

The questions went back and forth until one of the guards opened the door.

"Okay Miss Fields. Time is up." I nod and begin to close my handy dandy notebook.

"So I don't know if you were told but we meet twice a week. Mondays and thursdays. So. Ill see you in a few days." He glares at the guard and looks down. Fury written on his pale face. The shock green hair falling into his eyes.

"Listen Doc. I wanna see you whenever I demand it. So be ready to answer my calls." I shake my head and squint at him.

"I'm glad our sesh went well today dude. But I ain't a dog. Remember that.that dont try to 0 treat me like the other thirsty
bitches who crawl to you. " I spin on my feet and head to the door.

He growls low in his throat.

"Guess ima have to show you who you are working with then. " He grumbles out. I shrug and keep walking.walking The solid door lets out a clicking sound as the security panel resets.  I don't wanna show how fast my heart is racing,selfishly indulging in that adrenaline rush which  was somehow better than when I work get a ways. Unlocking my office door I go straight to my desk and am taken back by the orange lily sitting on my desk tied to a neon green ribbon. No card needed. This is the Jokers work.
I'm so fucked.
With a sweep of my arm the gifts flutters to the floor in a tangle of discarded petals as I yell "Fuck!" loud as I can and emit the strangest sound of irritation before grabbing my bags and coat and storm my way back to my run down house. Remembering only after the fact we still need milk.