Chapter 10

|CHAPTER 10|

"So, you're the human."

The intimate purr of the words could not disguise the distinct bitterness underlying Soteria's tone.

Remembering the spark in Kali's eyes when she had challenged her, Liana thought it would be best not to cause another incident – as she may not escape unscathed this time.

Yet the most basic rule of survival in the teeming, dark alleys that she had once felt resigned to call 'home', was not to let your fear show.

The golden-eyed woman had only been waiting for an excuse to pounce when she had arrived at the small, grey tent, whether Liana had acted meekly or boldly.

So she decided to follow the instinct that had been ingrained in her from a young age, and did not back down.

Straightening her shoulders and lifting her chin, she said boldly, "So you're the succubus."

The disinterested look of a reclining feline was replaced with livid anger, as Soteria's tilted eyes widened.

Mira took an unobtrusive step back, that horribly happy smile remaining, as if it had been painted on.

Glancing sideways at his cheerful profile, long-past images flitted gently across her mind.

Pale barley crops, dyed a dark crimson, seemed to sigh under the knowing twilight sky, as if relieved to receive the blood of an innocent.

The wide brim of the farmer's hat slipped further over his forehead, obscuring his gleaming eyes in shadows - a happy smile lighting up his gaze.

Satisfied that his crops would last another month until he could find his next unaware victim.

Mira had not directly attempted to hurt her, even if his healing potions had been the opportune method to do so.

Instead he led her to another circus member, who would have no qualms in acting against the orders of the Ring Master.

Shaking away the haze of panic that veiled her mind, Liana stared up at Soteria unblinkingly.

The stunning figure curled her lip and spat, "I am a nymph, do not associate me with those sex-slave hussies."

Her stance was intimidating, but reminded Liana somewhat of Kali's behaviour, even if the nymph was stronger than the snake charmer.

Pushy, needing to exert her dominant position – until the Ring Master arrived, and she crumbled under his superior power.

Even if he was not here at this precise moment, Liana knew she was under the leading demon's protection.

This slowed the cold trickle of fear seeping into every fissure her heart.

She curved her lips upwards, letting her tone take on a slightly mocking edge.

"Sorry – seems I couldn't tell the difference."

Expression contorting, the willowy woman stepped gracefully towards Liana.

"You little –"

Before the nymph could release a torrent of insults that would certainly rival the contempt Kali expressed towards Liana, two dark forms stepped in front of her.

"Tory, calm down." Sun stated in a cool voice.

"You don't want to end up like that witch-bitch, Kali." Shine continued in a hiss.

Soteria, who had apparently seen or at least heard about what had happened to the snake charmer, pulled back and smoothed her expression into careful blankness.

Liana was glad that the Ring Master's threat was enough to stop this situation at least from going too far.

She shuddered, as the twins' reminder made her think of Kali, and the bloody fangs that had clung slightly to her palms because of the sticky blood coating them.

Maybe she should not have antagonised the nymph of unknown power.

Soteria cast a murderous gaze over her body, still engulfed under the Ring Master's jacket, and turned sharply on her heel.

Without another word to anyone, she strode out of the Main Tent and into the late morning light.

The tension stringing her shoulders tight, that Liana had not acknowledged until now, was suddenly released.

The assortment of bystanders gathered around moved away, expressions of disappointment turning their lips down, as the promise of blood dissipated.

Glad the twins seemed to be on her side in this instance, she edged an inch towards them.

She turned towards Mira, as he released an exasperated sigh.

He had stopped all motion once more, and looked at the spot where Soteria had previously stood, with an empty gaze.

After a minute ticked away, he became reanimated, and the smile automatically returned to his lips.

"Very interesting, Illiana. Shall we go to the dining hall, now that most other members are starting their practice?" He did not offer any explanation as to why he had thrown her to the proverbial wolves earlier, merely gazing at her with an expectant look.

Nodding in silence, she moved to follow him from the Main Tent.

"Wait!" An imperiously flat voice called from behind them.

Liana glanced over her shoulder to see Shine following after them quickly, tugging Sun along by his hand.

"We have learnt our lesson. Master said to guard you – so that's what we will do." It was Sun who answered the question in her eyes.

So the twins had also been unable to forget the bloody punishment, as well.

She quirked her lips shakily at them, and slowed so that they could walk beside her.

Shine, who stood to her left as Mira guided them all down the path, tugged at the edge of her silk dress.

"What are you? Kali is always annoyed but she rarely resorts to physical violence. And Tory is jealous of everyone, but never publically announces it."

Before she could open her mouth and give the Shifter the same response she had given Kali, Mira reached back and grabbed her wrist.