42. News and Return

Bắt đầu từ đầu

I found a place and went inside from the lively streets.

I exhaled deeply and picked up a basket. "I guess I better get to work."

The first aisle I stopped off at was the drink section and got two giant two liters of ginger ale, along with a smaller bottle that I could drink now because I needed it. I nearly downed half the bottle before I was off on my search again.

My hand was shaking as I picked up the first boxed pregnancy test. There were a whole lot of words on it, and the pink packaging was a mask, trying to convince me that I wasn't in a bad situation.

"Is this your first time?" someone asked from next to me. She was a woman of maybe forty and had a warming smile on her face.

"Uh, yeah. Is this a good one?" I held up the test in my hand.

"Get one with words. It's easier." She patted my shoulder. "How old are you?"

"Eighteen," I said. Just the sound of it made me feel horrible. "How old are you?" I asked before I could even stop myself.

She giggled, "I'm forty-three, and I never thought I'd be in this aisle again."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ask that."

"It's alright. I know what you meant. I can't imagine what you're feeling right now. I was twenty-five with my first one, and I was terrified."

"I don't know what to do." I felt like breaking down in front of this stranger.

"Does the father know?"

I shook my head. "No."

"It's not as bad as it seems, sweetheart." She patted my shoulder. "Look at me, I'm twice divorced and had a one night stand a couple months ago. Come to find out, I left with more than I bargained for."

"Are you scared?" I asked her.

"Of course I am," she laughed.

"This is just so much for me to deal with." I pulled on my hair. "I have no idea what to do."

"Just breathe. You're not the first one to go through this."

"You're right." I nodded, regaining coherency. "So which one of these should I get?"

"Always try two different brands, just to be on the safe side."

"Okay." I got two and put them in the basket.

"And get some crackers. You might be living off of those for the next week or so."

"Thank you."

"No problem. I have four kids so this is nothing new to me. Are you going to tell the father? Do you know who he is?"

I wanted to snap at her for assuming things, but then I remembered that she had no idea who I was. I should just be happy that she was here to help.

"Once you make sure... of everything, get to a doctor. Is your mother here with you?" the lady asked.

I laughed from my throat and pretended it was a cough. Rebecca would probably start crying and make it all about her with the "I tried to save you from my mistakes" speech. I'm sure she never thought she would have to use that one with me. She probably wouldn't know what to do, anyway.

The woman left me alone after another minute, and I was standing in the "family planning aisle" by myself, trying to get the strength to move. Every step I took closer to the cash register would be another step towards the possibility that this might all be true. It was basically all a formality at this point. I knew I was pregnant; I just needed proof.