Chapter One - How to piss off your extremely amazing mother and feel guilty

"Samantha Elizabeth Smith, if you think you are going to stay with your grandmother for the summer in that attire, I assure you young lady you are highly mistaken." mom's voice sounded as I trudged heavily down the stairs to the kitchen.

I rolled my eyes inwardly and pretended not hear her, silently praying for a miracle that she would let this drop though her use of my full name assured me she would not.

I proceeded to the refrigerator and poured myself a glass of orange juice and took a huge gulp before saying "juice?" offering my half empty glass.

She responded by staring me down with her impatient eyes. I continued to ignore all her warnings and shrugged, chugging down the rest of my juice.

"Please don't do this, Sam. Not today please. We have to leave soon and you have to change. You're going to visit your grandmother, not a house party.." she said exasperatedly, looking at my mid-thigh black dress which I had borrowed from my best friend Hannah. I figured that if I had to really spend my entire summer with a grandmother I know nuts about against my will, why not go with a bang and give my mother a heart attack.

I eyed my mother. She looked really tired. My mother was naturally a beautiful woman. With hair as black as ravens, shiny and sleek. Olive-shaped, green and intense eyes matched with well defined cheekbones and perfect bronze skin to match. Add in a well-kept body, curvy at all the right places and slim, she was the envy of many women and the desire of many men, single or committed.

After my dad died in a car accident two years after I was born, she never really bothered getting back into the dating game. Instead, she concentrated on raising me up the best that she could and also on upgrading her career as the best family lawyer in Alvansville, which was where we lived.

No amount of beauty my mother had could cover up the exhaustion and nerves she felt. I immediately felt the guilt rushing through my veins for giving her a hard time these past few days. Generally, my mother and I had an amazing relationship. She really was the best mother ever. All my friends were jealous of how easy-going and understanding she was. They were also in awe of the fact that we were on a first name basis sort of relationship. My mom was fun but she was also strict and never forgot her responsibilities and her role in my life. She was a firm believer in mutual trust. That was why I got decent grades and hide nothing from her. She always gave me permission to go out and never failed to remind me that I could always go to her for anything. She probably knew me better than I did.

Losing my train of thoughts, I came back to the present and groaned, lifting my hands up in defeat.

"Do you really have to trample over my very first rebellious act, Deborah? Jeez, that is so not cool." I muttered, unhappy that I would have to give in.

My mother cracked a smile, her eyes softening at my use of her first name. This meant that our mini battle was over and she had won.

I stormed upstairs to change into my normal clothes. I was actually feeling pretty relived as Hannah was a size smaller than me and this meant that her black dress was a little bit too tight for comfort. As soon as I barely managed to lift that wretched dress over my head, I heaved a heavy sign of relief and felt happy that I could breathe again. I threw the dress on my bed and looked at myself in the mirror.

People would always compliment my mom, saying that she could pass for my elder sister. Not because we looked alike, but because she looked and was young. Taking in my auburn wavy locks and almond shaped brown eyes, we looked nothing alike. The only thing we had in common was our skin, bronze and flawless, and our high cheekbones. I was lucky enough to inherit curves from Deborah, granting me curvaceous hips and a narrow waist. My chest was reasonable enough, not too big and not too small.

My mother always told me I looked alot like my grandmother. Unfortunately, I could never pass judgement on that, as I had never met the woman. Until now, that is. Bridget Alexandria White. When Mom told me I was to stay with her for the summer, I was surprised. To be completely honest, I did not even know I had a living grandparent.

It was then I realised I was still half naked, in my black bra and panty. I grabbed my comfiest pair of black jeans and a plain gray tee with a flowery skull print on it and decided it was decent enough to meet your only grandparent in. I let my hair down and applied some mascara, blush and a clear lipgloss.

I fixed my hair, brushing it here and there till I was satisfied. I really had no intention to spend all summer with a grandmother I haven't met before but apparently look so much like her. But, it was clear I had no choice. Besides, I did not like making my mom even more exhausted than she already was. I sighed heavily, taking one last look at myself in the mirror before dragging myself downstairs.