The Cough

In the Darkness Somebody coughed.

"Who was it?"

Silence reigned

"Who?!"

A Dim light sprang into being. Amie's light barely illuminated the cramped, windowless room and the six teens within. Shadows pooled in the corners, lurking just beyond the reach of the girls lantern.

Aron watched as Amie glared at each of her friends in turn. None spoke. Silhouettes danced along the walls as Amie moved her head, causing the lantern to jerk and shift. Kyrie huddled near the barred door, eyes wide and uncomprehending as she stared off into an uncertain distance. Kyrie twitched slightly, squeezing a bag of flour she clutched so tightly to her chest. On the rooms only bed, Mimi sat next to Matthew, Her head buried in her knees. Mimi shook as she sobbed quietly. Aron didn't know whether Mimi's distress is because the situation or their hygiene; The room reeked of unwashed bodies, And Mimi's hair, like everyone else's was tangled, knotted and hung heavy with filth.

Matthew, for his part, merely stared stoically back at Amie when the Girls gaze turned to him.

And then those eyes were on Aron and Ty.

The two were locked in an embrace; it was the only comfort they had in the room. Aron found his voice when the other began to shudder. "What does it Matter?

Amie's eyes furrowed, "Get serious Aron. Its better to get five of us through this that none of us. Coughing is the only warning we get."

Ty's whisper carried well enough in the enclosed space, "Couldn't we just...wait and see? It could be just dust or a cold.."

"I really wish that We could risk that, Ty." Amie said her sharp edge of her voice softened slightly. "But theres no going back once it reaches its final stage. You saw what happened out there. Do you really want that in here?"

Matthew sighed and spoke up. "She's right. Its not contagious until the end. We got a choice to make one death, or six."

Aron gritted his teeth, "Isn't there anything that can be done? Can't your science cure it? Stop it? Slow it down?" He paused, then then added in a hoarse whisper, "Anything?"

The girl shook her head, "Even the presidents scientists can't cure it. They can only contain outbreaks that do happen. Every carrier has to die. That's the only way to keep the rest of us safe, You know that Aron, time matters here; Why are you stalling?"

The taller males mouth worked but no words came forth..Ty's whisper suddenly, filled the gap. "I..I coughed, it was me.."

Aron looked at the other, Eyes wide with shock and horror. Ty turned to look at him and spoke, once again hesitant, "Its okay, It'll be okay. I couldn't live with myself if any of you died, I could have prevented it. Its better this way."

Aron shook his head slowly and whispered, "No.."

Matthews voice was grim, "His mind is made up, But Ty's got the strength, on The inside-"

"H..How can we....how I..is he go going to....?" Arons voice trailed off.

Amie sighed and slumped to the floor, "Well you're the only one with a Weapon, and I none of us know how to aim a gun, it can't be me, it has to be you Aron."

"W-What?! Why me?"

Amie looked away, "I know you well enough to realize that you'd never just stand beside and let one of us lay a hand on your childhood friend. Maybe intellectually you'd know that its necessary, but your emotions get the best of you. Ask yourself, if it had to be any of us, would you really want anyone but yourself to..to-"

Aron rose to his feet, "You're right."

The males voice was hollow. He took a step back away from Ty.

Matthew spoke, "Ty, sit up and get against that wall. It'll be a bit..."

Matthew choked back his tears, "quicker..."

"I'm so sorry, Aron. I wish it could be any other way." Amie said

Aron looked over his shoulder to meet the eyes of the smaller male. Ty had taken Matthews advice. They stared at each over silently for a moment. Eventually, Aron found words, insufficient as they were, "I...I'm sorry..I'm so sorry Please forgive me..."

The smaller male replied, voice shaking. "I-I forgive you..Its okay..Its better this way. Just make sure to take care of everyone else..When this is all over, When everything is back to normal.."

Aron whispered quietly, "I promise.."

He took one careful aim, one shot, It would be quick. Ty deserved that much, at least. When he was sure he'd aimed right, vision or not, he spoke, "Cut the lights, Amie. N-Nobody should see this." The lanterns glow disappeared.

Aron hands started to shake, he slowly looked away and gathered up all his strength and pulled the trigger, a loud bang was accompanied by the sensation of warm droplets splattering nearly across his body.

Aron stumbled back, dropping his gun.

He stood shaking, his eyes wide and his heart nearly beating out of his chest. He was slightly covered in sticky blood; He could feel it beginning to clot. He wondered despite himself whether the mess would stain, whether his clothes would always bare the red residue of his deed, He wept quietly to himself

Silence reigned.

....

In the darkness, somebody Coughed.

_____

//aaAAAAA-