Helitak Daze - Chapter 13

Start from the beginning

"How did you know June was my birthday?"

"I only know it's between the 23rd and 29th. It was one of the last things you told me, that I would miss your birthday next week. I left June 22nd."

"And you remember that?"

"Michael, I remember almost everything about you. There was more to us than the Cherokee and camping trip Slider and Bennett. I wish you would remember, too. It was the best time of my life."

"I'm sorry. I feel like there was more, but things got so shitty, I blocked it all out."

"It's okay. We aren't the same people. Come help me get dinner ready." She led him inside.

He carried his bag into the cabin and set it down near the stairs. Katlin was pulling steaks and vegetables out of the refrigerator. He took the dinnerware outside and set the table. They moved easily around each other. Michael had been in her cabin for a week, with Rick, and knew his way around her kitchen.

"Beer, wine or whiskey?" He asked, pulled a beer out for himself.

"Wine please, the burgundy that is open." She replied, happy that he was comfortable in her home.

They ate dinner on the back deck. Smoke left a light haze through the trees, but it wasn't enough to drive them inside. They talked about their day. He asked insightful questions about the park ecology and history. She asked about places he'd been and things he liked to do. They both had a love for the mountains and photography. He liked to scuba dive; she liked to skydive. After a mild argument over jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, they decided to drop it. It had been a nice evening, having someone to talk to. She became aware that they both smelled a little smoky and needed a shower before bed.

Kat took two towels out from under a cabinet that sat in the deck corner. She wandered down to the lake; Michael followed. The sun had set, but it was an unseasonably warm summer and she thought a dip would be nice.

"What are you doing?" He asked, as if he didn't know.

"Going for a swim, wanna come?"

"I don't have swim trunks."

"Neither do I. Come on, no water moccasins this time." She turned back to the lake and stripped down to her panties. She waded shoulder deep into the water, before turning to look at him. He shook his head and remained on the beach. "Suit yourself. It's chilly, but refreshing."

Michael watched her dive underwater, her backside gracefully popping to the surface as she went under. She did that on purpose, he thought. Damn it, I know she did. He also knew that she was sure he'd eventually follow her. Stripping down, he cut cleanly through the water. She surfaced next to him with a smile.

"Kat, you little liar, this water is freezing. I get shrinkage you know."

"Well, then, I'll have to warm you up." She molded the length of her body to his. Her heat felt wonderful in the cold water. His arms circled her, trapping her to him. He kissed her for a long time. It felt good to come home to someone, rather than an empty apartment. "So, do you want to stay out here freezing all night or go back inside?"

She knew she was turning blue and barely stopped her teeth from chattering. "How's some whiskey and a movie in bed sound?"

He lifted her off her feet. "Great! Let's go." He carried her until they were waist deep and put her down. "You know I can't carry you across these rocks."

It was fun while it lasted. She was glad he had followed her into the water. At least she knew he wasn't as stuffy as he came across sometimes. At the beach, she handed him a towel and she quickly dried off. Wrapping the towel around her, she bundled her clothes up and went inside.