The Other Side

"So I was on Wikipedia," John chattered as the bell jingled behind them.

"You shouldn't read that nonsense. Just because you're obsessed with Earth, doesn't make the stuff on it factual."

John ignored the chastisement. "I read about this religion. They have this pretend God, on Earth, called the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Well, it's not really a God, but it's a parody, and they think pirates are the original believers in this God and it's supposed to be an argument against intelligent design." He snickered. "I wonder what they'd say if they knew that we made them."

"They don't know so it doesn't matter," Quin replied, heading towards the pretzel shop.

"I realize that they are a model for untainted cultural development, but imagine the chaos that would result if someone leaked them that information." John raised his eyebrows three times consecutively.

"Don't even think about it." Quin opened the door to the Panoramic Pretzel.

"My treat," John whispered as they entered. He leaned conspiratorially towards Quin. "Because I get them for free!" He grinned.

"Peanut Pretzel?" the girl behind the counter asked, smiling at John. "With extra salt?"

"Of course, Elle!" John grinned. "You know me so well!"

Elle smiled and turned to the rack of pretzels. "And for your friend?"

"He's not having any," John answered. He turned back to Quin and frowned. "Unless you've suddenly changed your diet or something."

Quin shook his head.

"So what do you think your old man is up to?" John asked as he waited.

"Retirement." Quin leaned against the counter.

"Really?"

He shrugged. "How am I supposed to know?"

"You're his son!" John sighed loudly. "I know you haven't spoken to him in two years, but really."

"Peanut Pretzel, on the house," Elle announced. "Here you go, Mr. John."

"Why thank you, Elle," said John, reaching out to take the pretzel. "And might I say you look particularly lovely today."

Elle smiled and blushed. "Thank you, sir."

"John," Quin scolded as they exited, "she's seventy-five years younger than you!"

"And a whole century younger than you, old man!" John retorted. "Look!" He pointed at the sky.

Over their heads the Morning Shadow began to drift onto the streets. This phenomenon, seen only on torus- or ring-shaped planets, took place directly before the sun was eclipsed by the curve of the planet. As the sun moved out of sight, instead of its light shining directly into the city, it bounced off of the ocean on the other side of the sky and back down, creating a strange and ephemeral white light. Quin smiled.

Around them, people began to drift onto the streets, gazing at the sky and murmuring in hushed tones. Two women in matching white gowns stood nearby.

"It's a sign," the first whispered reverently.

"God is speaking," the second added.

"Don't be silly," John interjected. "It's a well-known astrological phenomenon and we can calculate exactly when it happens. In fact, the Atmospheric Association sends out a message every time, so we can all watch. Although uncommon, it's not particularly special. Obviously."

"Unbeliever," the first woman said, smiling. "You, one day, will see."

"Let's go," Quin said, reaching for John's arm and pulling him down the street.